Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

What does it mean when you have a frequent itching inside your ear

My right ear has a constant itching inside. It feels like I have a loose hair inside or something. About 7 or 8 months ago I had a real bad ear infection in that ear, and once that cleared up I have had the itching. I have ne medical insurance, but I am wondering if there is something I can do over the counter.

Optional Information:
Female , Age: 33

Already Tried:
Debrox to keep from getting wax build up

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 10 years ago.

There can be various causes for your itchy ear-

• Wax in the ear can causes persistamt itching.

• There could be eczema or dryness after the ear infection you had

• Or might be a persistant infection- if you are having some pain, discharge, redness etc, then you might be having infection.

If there is only persistant itching with no othet symptoms, then infection is ruled out. Most probably you seem to be having persistant eczema. Put a drop of oil in your ear- olive oil or vegetable oil, for 4-5 days. If still nor relief, then you can apply half strenght hydrocortisone ointment in the ear. If still no relief, then you will have to go to a doctor for prescription.

Please remember to accept the reply if you find it useful. A BONUS and a positive rating would be duly appreciated,
Dr. Gupta