Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal
237255

I am having constant muscle spasming- (it feels like

Customer Question

I am having constant muscle spasming-? (it feels like gas bubbles under my skin enlarging and sometimes moving around). This occurs constantly in my right leght and is now happening in my left leg and upper right arm. Next week I am having and EMG/NCS . This is the first available appointment and the waiting is making me nervous. I just had an ultrasound of my legs to rule out any blood clots-that came back negative. I also had and MRI last week. This has been prescribed by my eye doctor (which I have had done 3 times over the past 2 years beginning with a discoloration of my optic nerve). Questionable areas resulting in a possible Chiari 1 diagnosis were noted. Again another week of waiting for an appointment with a neurologist. These spasms are very irritating especially the constant ones in my right leg.This is also making nervous (waiting & wondering). Do you think that perhaps the spasms may be a Chiari symptom or possibly something that the EMG/NCS might determine?

Optional Information:
Female , Age: 41

Already Tried:
MRI-brain
ultrasound of legs to rule out blood clots (negative results)

Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.

It could possibly be a Chiari symptom since this does involve the brain and the nervous system. Your best bet is to be seen by the Neurologist and the EMG/NCS should be able to determine if this is a symptom from the Chiari or RLS which is known as Restless Leg Symdrome and having low iron or being anemic can cause this as well as peripheral which is a neurological condition. I think your best bet is to be seen by the neurologist who can perform more tests to determine the cause of your RLS and advise the best course of treatment. For more information about this condition please visit the link I have included below as it may allow additional insight to this condition since you are so nervous about the waiting.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/detail_restless_legs.htm

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to cheryl kauffman's Post: It is finally good to here someone else (beside myself) use the term RLS. I have gone to several orthopedic appointments while trying to find the source of my leg spasms.The doctor gave me injections of Sinvas (I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling), once a week for 3 weeks to control the spasms. They sadly did not work. Upon the final visit I brought in information form the exact link you provided! I highlighted the symptoms that pertained to me (because I was really EXCITED to think this was the ANSWER). I handed the info. to him and he didn't even glance at it. Instead of saying this MAY be the problem, he referred me to another doctor in the practice (title after name: physical medicine and rehabilitation). She did not use the RLS term as a POSSIBILITY. Is this a "foreign" word to some doctors?! She was the one who recommended the ultrasound of the leg and the EMG/NCS. My Grandma even had RLS, which I told her. The information I read says it may be genetic. The only thing that is different from the RLS info. is that I read that spasms can be felt in the feet,thighs, arms, and hands. Several times I have felt spasms in my back and stomach (as well as legs and upper right arm). These spasms everywhere feel like gas bubbles under my skin. I described these feelings to the orthopedic doctor who gave me the injections (at the time focusing on the CONSTANT bubbling feeling in my right leg). He said that a spasm was like a tightening of a muscle. His response to my bubbling feelings was that he had never heard of such a thing (I felt lost).
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
Even with the bubbling feeling that can still be RLS, they do seem like spasms to some people as everyone can have their own description of the feeling they are having. I honestly feel that this is what you have and I would pursue that. I think that you should be seen by a Neurologist with the spasms that you are having in your back and stomach but when you opened your post that was just the first thing that came to my mind was RLS. I would recommend that you try to get another opinion of they are not willing to look at this as your problem and a Neurologist should help with that and can also look into the spasms in your back and stomach as well as those could be muscle spasms but to me with your legs it sounds like RLS. If I can be of further help please let me know.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience: Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I just went to my first neurologist appointment to check on what he thought of the reading of the MRI for Chiari . He said it was only 3 mm, so it was not a problem. I just tried to call him back with this new question, but he's gone for theevening.
Might this ever possibly grow throughout the upcoming years or does it always remain the same size? My next MRI is in one year.
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
They can grow larger through time although some stay the same and do not increase it is sort of a 50/50 chance either way. If so it would require a surgical procedure to enlarge the posterior fossa but it takes time and this is why they have scheduled an MRI for a year and not sooner. If your symptoms become increasingly worse then it would be a sign that you would need to be seen sooner.