Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal
237255
Health

Why do I get cold and chills whenever I drink a large glass ...

Why do I get cold... Show More
Why do I get cold and chills whenever I drink a large glass of water? the water is at room temp, not cold. Thank you

Optional Information:
Age: 60

Already Tried:
nothing

Category: Health
replied 10 years ago.
You might be slightly anemia if you are getting cold this easy and do not have any symptoms of a cold or the flu. I would suggest that if this continues you be seen by your physician and allow them to do some bloodwork to determine if you may be anemia as this will be able to be determined by your bloodwork. I would also suggest adding some iron to your diet in foods such as red meat, brown or black beans and a vitamin suppliment as this is the most common reason for a symptom such as this if you are not having any circulation problems.
Customer reply replied 10 years ago.
Reply to cheryl kauffman's Post: just had blood work done...all is okay. Already taking a multivitamin.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast replied 10 years ago.
Is it only when drinking the lukewarm water or does it happen at all during any other activities? Also does this happen when you first get up or when you have been awake and walking around for awhile?
Customer reply replied 10 years ago.
Reply to cheryl kauffman's Post: This happens all the time. I get the shivers and feel really cold. The symptoms pass within the hour but it is really playing havoc with a weight loss program that I'm on and they are wanting me to drink 64oz of water a day - above and beyond water used in tea etc. Im 60, 5ft2in, 150lbs.
This sounds like you could be having some circulation issues and with the fact they are wanting you to drink so much water, it can cause a need for more exercise as it is adding alot of water to your circulatory system. I would also suggest more bloodwork directly related to possible anemia as you may have had bloodwork performed but it depends on what they are checking it for. You need to make sure they did a CBC ( Complete Blood Count ) as usually this type of symptoms stems from anemia or circulation issues.
Customer reply replied 10 years ago.
Sounds good Cheryl. One other thing I should mention is that I am taking Hydrochlorazine 25mg daily. Could it be too much of a loss of minerals or electrolytes? It could be a circulation issue also as I always have cold hands and feet.
It could be causing a loss of electrolytes yes, so I would suggest some pedialyte which is great for replacing the loss of electrolytes. I feel more though that it could be a circulation issue if you have always had cold hands and feet, that and along with the coldness and chills that you are having would relate to a circulation issue as well so I feel you need to address this with your physician for further testing.