Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN OSTOMY,COLOSTOMY,AND ILEOSTOMY

I HAVE ALOT OF TROUBLE WITH IBS.I HAVE IT VERY BAD.I HAVE TO TAKE LOTRAMAX. BUT I ONLY TAKE 1/2 OF A 5MG TABLET,ABOUT EVERY 2 DAYS. I AM CONSIDERING A ILEOSTOMY SO I CAN TRAVEL. MY MUSCLE WAS FIXED BUT I HAVE HAD SO MANY SURG. THAT MY NERVES DO NOT WORK OR WOULD YOU CONSIDER A ARTIFICIAL ANAL MUSCLE? I JUST WANT TO HAVE A NORMAL LIFE,TO BE ABLE TO EAT AND TRAVEL TO.

Optional Information:
Female , Age: 56

Already Tried:
ABOUT 4 SURGURY'S AND LOTAMAX THATS WHY MY NERVES ARE NOT WORKING.

Category: Health
Expert:  CYNTHIA replied 8 years ago.

the option is yours, if you travel, it would be ideal. since you have had 4 prior procedures without much help, this is better than living as you are currently.

ihope i have helped out, please accept so that we may close out this question. we are here 24/7.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to CYNTHIA's Post: YOU DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION! WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN THE THREE? I WANT THE ONE WITHOUT THE BAG. EXPLAIN HOW EACH ONE WORKS!
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.

An ostomy is an operation that makes it possible for stool to leave the body through an opening made in the abdomen.
Colostomy and ileostomy are types of ostomy.

A colostomy is an operation that makes it possible for stool to leave the body after the rectum has been removed. On the other hand an ileostomy is a surgery that makes it possible for stool to leave the body after the colon and rectum are removed. Both these surgeries require an outside bag.

If you do not want a bag , then you have two option,

Ileoanal reservoir surgery is an alternative to a permanent ileostomy. that has two stage. In the first stage, the colon and rectum are removed and a temporary ileostomy is done. In the second stage, the ileostomy is closed and part of the small intestine is used to create an internal pouch to hold stool. This pouch is attached to the anus. The muscle of the rectum is left in place, so the stool in the pouch does not leak out of the anus. This allows a person to control hsi bowel movements
If an ileoanal reservoir is not possible or feasible, another method is the continent ileostomy. Here an internal reservoir pouch, a valve and a stoma is created. A tube is inserted through the stoma and valve to drain the pouch.

For these possibilities you would need to talk to you surgeon so that the best possible surgeyr is done for you,

READ MORE HERE

Please remember to accept the reply if you find it useful. A BONUS and a positive rating would be duly appreciated,
regards
Dr. Gupta

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.

I was just wondering if you need any further information. If
not, and if you are satisfied with my answer, please consider clicking on the
accept button.

Thanks,

Dr. Gupta

Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I WANT TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE IN OSTOMY,COLOSTOMY,AND ILEOSTOMY.HOW DO THESE WORK?
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.
Customer
As mentioned above colostomy and and ileostomy require that waste be collected outside the body in a pouch. Ostomy is a general term referring to the opening that is made. In an ileostomy, the ileum which is the the lowest part of the small intestine, is brought to the abodminal opening. In a colostomy, the end of the large intestine is brought to the abdominal opening.

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.
Dear XXXXXe,
As I have mentioned in my previous reply, ostomy is the surgery that leads to an opening being made on the skin of the abdomen to drain stools after abdomen surgery.
There are multiple types of ostomy procedures that can be done and COLOSTOMY and ILEOSTOMY are two different types of Ostomy procedure only.

If in a surgery both the colon & rectum have been removed then the stool is more liquid and the procedure done is called Ileostomy.
On the other hand if the surgery has been done to remove the rectum only, then the stools are slightly more formed and the surgery done is Colostomy.
Both these surgeries require a drainage bag, so essentially as a patient you do feel any difference in these surgeries.
And as I said before both of these surgeries are types of Ostomy.

You can READ MORE DETAILS HERE

Ileoanal reservoir surgery is an alternative
to a permanent ileostomy. that has two stages of operation. The pouch is
attached to the anus. The muscle of the rectum is left in place, so the
stool in the pouch does not leak out of the anus. This allows a person
to control his bowel movements.

Sometimes this surgery may not be possible, in such cases another method is the continent ileostomy. this will also not cause an external bag to be needed

For these possibilities you would need to talk to you surgeon so that the best possible surgery is done for you,

READ MORE HERE

regards
Dr. Gupta