AnnlynnRN
AnnlynnRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN - 16 years in ICU & Critical Care (Cardiac, Neurology, Trauma, & Medical/Surgical ICU.)
64436

my stomach has been getting quivers or a small fluttering ...

Customer Question

my stomach has been getting quivers or a small fluttering feeling all day long I have also been sexually active and not protected. I have also been extremlly tired. The last time me and my partner had sex was 3 days ago.
what could it be?
Optional Information: Female , Age: 22Already Tried: eating something when i feel sick and later on my stomache flutters for a while
Category: Health
Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

(1) Are there certain foods, exercises, or other activities that cause these "sick flutters?"

(2) Is it painful? (sharp, cramping, ache, indigestion, continuous, or intermittent)

(3) Are you taking any medications? If so, what kind?

(4) Is this a regular occurrence or intermittent?

(5) Have you been under stress lately?

(6) What area of the stomach is affected? (lower intestine, upper GI, etc...)

(7) Brace yourself....Any chance of pregnancy?

The best answers you can provide to the above questions can help us give a better answer to your question.

Best, AnnlynnRN

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well it is not a painful flutter but it feels like maybe it possibly could be pregnancy but i am not possitive and i am putting off taking a pregnancy test because something close to it has happened before this. I have felt very fatigued and sick to my stomach before it starts fluttering. no i am not on medication but i was on Effexor earlier. About a week and a half ago I stoped taking it. The fluttering started today. It starts after i feel tired and hungry at the same time. then when i get food in my stomache i feel better for about an hour or so. Then it starts back again. The fluttering started in the lower part of the abdomen near my ovaries and now is near my belly button. My bf has felt the fluttering outside of my stomache My period was about a week and a half ago. The 7th was the first day. My periods are 31 days apart. what should i do?
Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

Withdrawal symptoms from Effexor can cause nausea, vomiting, muscle pain, and headache or weakness, although those symptoms usually don't occur unless the drug is stopped abruptly....even though you did stop your Effexor, this just doesn't seem to be the culprit.

Also, if you were pregnant, it would not be likely to be feeling "flutter" from an embryo at this point as you are not even late for your period.

It's more likely you are experiencing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) as evidenced by the feeling of tiredness and hunger followed by relief after eating. I suggest a trip to your doctor where she/he can do some blood tests to check for hypoglycemia, and give you a full routine work-up. You didn't mention if you were experiencing stress lately. Many chronic and acute gastrointestinal disorders can cause spasms in the colon that can be triggered by stress....often resulting in diarrhea and cramping, though they can be treated. (Sometimes even hunger can cause that "flutter" feeling you describe.)

It's also a good idea to have your gynecologist exam you. At age 22, you should be seeing a gynecologist regularly anyway.

So try to make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. In the meantime, if you know anyone who is a diabetic and has a glucometer to check their blood sugar at home, try checking your blood sugar with a clean finger-stick to see what your baseline level is and then test it again when you are having those symptoms to compare the difference. But definitely see your doctor soon.