Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert
163146

I am 40 years old and 5 days late with my period. Ive ...

I am 40 years old and 5 days late with my period. I've done 3 home prednancy tests and all were negative.
Could I still be pregnant? What else could it be? Otherwise my periods are like clock work, and I'm not haveing any other symptoms.

Optional Information:
Age: 40

Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 10 years ago.

First off, home tests are not 100% accurate. So to confirm pregnancy it is best to have a blood test to determine this. Now with that said, some times a woman just won't ovulate for a month (which is normal) if one doesn't ovulate, no period. It could be hormonal as well, which could be the start of per-menopause. Other factors that can cause this include: stress, weight gain/loss, medication, illness, climate, cyst, or polyp of the cervix, hormonal, thyroid, infection.. just to name a few.

Without a proper exam it would be hard to pin point the exact cause. But do call your doctor and start with an accurate test to confirm.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don’t forget to click the *accept* button!