Rick, PAC, MSN
Experience:  Physician's Assistant, Master degree'd RN

What can you take for body aches from a virus

Took my wife to the doctor on Wed for Flu like symptoms, and they said she has a virus - but not Influenza. They also said it will have to run its course. She has had these symptoms for about 5-6 days, and is unable to sleep because of body aches all over. We gave her Robitusin and Tylenol - neither of which seems to be helping. We also gave her Theraflu Nightime formula, hot tea and plenty of citrus fruit. She still says something isn't right, and has body aches all over??? The doctor did not prescribe anything for her. Please advise what she can take to relieve the body aches so she can rest, and what else we can do to help her get rid of the virus??

Optional Information:
Female , Age: 56

Already Tried:
hot tea, Theraflu Nightime, Tylenol, citrus fruit.

Category: Health
Expert:  Rick replied 10 years ago.
If it is a virus, it will just take time. I know that's a rough response, but nothing can kill a virus. There are a number of things that you can try to help speed it up. For one, a great deal of fluid, water, OJ, broth, Gatorade - this will help to wash out her body and thus help rid the virus. Make sure that she eats well, including bananas for potassium which may decrease with increased fluid intake.
As for the body aches, consider taking Naprosyn or Motrin (over the counter dosages) and then altering with Tylenol products. You can take 2 every 4 hours, then alter with the other: Tylenol at 8 am, Naprosyn a 10am, Tylenol at 12pm, Naprosysn at 2pm, etc, etc).
This is just treating her symptoms, and should make her feel better - if she does not feel better and/or feels worse, make a return trip to the doctor.

I hope my information was helpful for you, please note that this is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice and/or diagnosis. Only your physician can provide that for you, so please see your Doctor, get examined and make sure you follow up as prescribed.
Please click the green "accept" button. Bonuses and Feedback are greatly appreciated! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you and good luck. Rick
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Rick's Post: Ok. How long should we wait until her symptoms worsen or improve before returning to the doctor? This has lasted all week so far?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
One other question: You say your comments should not be considered as medical advice or a diagnosis, are you a Registered Nurse? I understand the liability issues involved around promising definitive diagnosis and treatments w/o a thorough exam, but shouldn't your comments be construed as those of a medical professional?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 years ago.
Hi, to your first question. I would give it another 3-4 days at least. Viruses can linger for 2-3 weeks sometimes, but you should not some improvement.
Yes, I am a registered nurse and a certified physician's assistant and a medical professional. I work with patients everyday, and diagnosis and treat a wide variety of conditions, but your wife is not in front of me to exam and thus I cannot provide you with a proper diagnosis or medical advice. I can only go on what information you have provided, that limits what can be done and what treatment and or diagnostic options are available. Because of that I feel the need to outline that detail in all my post.

Thanks and good luck
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Rick's Post: Ok. I'm just about ready to accept, but wanted to clarify your last answer. It appears to be a typo on th elast part of your answer. You said "Viruses can linger 2-3 weeks sometimes, but you should not some improvement?" Did you mean you should see some improvement??
Expert:  Rick replied 10 years ago.
Yes, I'm sorry I should have caught that.

You should see some improvement. Aches should start to feel less and less severe.