Julie
Julie, mother/teacher
Experience:  worked in health clinic, called "family doc" by all, will listen to your problem & try to help you

how long can a spinal headache caused by a puncture of the

How long can a spinal headache caused by a puncture of the dura in a routine epidural shot for low back pain last?

Optional Information:
Male , Age: 51

Already Tried:
I am scheduled for a blood patch tomorrow after 8 days of positional headache pain. Is a blood patch the right procedure at this time?

Category: Health
Expert:  Howie replied 8 years ago.
A spinal headache could last up to 24 hours. You should be lying in bed WITHOUT your head elevated. You have to let your body produce enough spinal fluid to replace what was removed. Good luck, Howie RN
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Howie's Post: I have had this for 8 days, and am scheduled for a 2nd blood patch procedure tomorrow (the first was done during the original epidural procedure when the doctor realized his mistake). Can this kind of headlast last 8 days (is that wihtin the normal range)?
Expert:  Howie replied 8 years ago.
I would say this is a little longer then what it should have lasted. I would definately speak to the doctor tomorrow before the procedure or call him today. Good luck, Howie RN
Expert:  Julie replied 8 years ago.
A spinal headache can last longer than a week if the blood patch didn't take. Some are resistant to healing quickly but if it didn't work the first time, there is a very good chance that it will work this time. After you get the blood patch again, remain flat as long as you possibly can. It can still take a few days for complete recovery.

I know someone who had to get two blood patches before it got better. The blood patch is the right procedure at this point. Occasionally someone may need a surgical procedure but it is not common - just something to be aware of.

For the pain right now, you may try drinking a few caffeinated drinks like strong coffee or coca cola. Caffeine has been shown to help relieve the pain of a spinal headache as well as lying flat.

If you lay flat and do not get almost immediate relief then I would say you are not dealing with a spinal headache anymore. This is the real test and that's how you'll know it's better.

I hope this gets better for you soon.

If this has helped you, don't forget to accept the answer.

Julie, mother/teacher
Experience: worked in health clinic, called "family doc" by all, will listen to your problem & try to help you