Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,

Do I need to stop adderall before general anesthesia

I take adderall 20mg daily and Welbutrin 150mg per day, do I need to stop these medications before general anesthesia?

Optional Information:
Age: 44

Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

I don't believe you do have to stop them. It's best to contact the hospital where you will be having the surgery and ask the surgical nurses, or an anesthesiologist. They will be happy to answer your questions. It's better to be safe than sorry. More likely than not they will call you a few days before surgery and ask you what meds you are on and tell you at that time which ones to stop. Usually that is aspirin or blood thinners.

Hope that helps,