Julie, mother/teacher
Experience:  worked in health clinic, called "family doc" by all, will listen to your problem & try to help you

can drinking too much diet soda cause chest pains

I have had sudden chest pains lately that are very painful and last anywhere from 30 min. - 3 hours--can drinking too nuch diet soda cause this?

Optional Information:
Female , Age: 24

Category: Health
Expert:  Julie replied 10 years ago.
If this happens right after drinking the soda, it could be heartburn or acid reflux. You could try an antacid like TUMS (chew 2-3 ) and see if that helps. If it does, then I would stop drinking carbonated beverages. The antacid should work within a few minutes.

At the age of 24, it is unlikely that you are having heart symptoms but it has happened to people your age. Therefore, you will need to be evaluated by a cardiologist to rule out any heart problems.   Do not delay - make an appointment as soon as possible for peace of mind.

Chest pains can also be caused by stress and muscle spasms.   There is cartlidge in the chest that can be inflamed from coughing too much. Tons of possibilities.

Here is an article

If the pain happens again before you can get to the doctor and the antacid doesn't take it away within a few minutes, then go to the ER and get this evaluated. They will also be able to give you the right medicine once the cause is determined.

I hope this helps and you being to feel better.
Don't forget to click accept and leave fedback.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
It doesn't happen right after, I just noticed that since I've been drinking diet coke I have gotten them alot worse. Could it be my gall bladder?
Expert:  Julie replied 10 years ago.
It could be your gall bladder and the best way to find this out would be to have an abdominal ultrasound. The gall bladder
usually shows up really well on this picture.

Did you try the antacid? Any luck?

I would definitely talk to the doctor at this point and have some testing done to get to the bottom of this.

Here is a good article on chest pain

I hope this helps you and that this goes away soon.