Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

Why am I spotting brown in between my period

I am noticing that I am spotting a brown liquid discharge from my vagina. I douched and a clot brown, blood looking clot was released. I am now getting very minimal cramps that don't hurt that much but I can still feel the cramps. Why am I spotting brown discharge, and did I worsen it by douching?

Optional Information:
Female , Age: 28

Already Tried:
Douching

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.

Brown discharge usually signals old blood, that my be left over from a previous period, or secondary to a miscarriage also. Only a doctor's exam will tell you the exact cause for the same. One thing is for certain, please do not douche.

"

Health care providers do not recommend douching to clean the vagina. Douching changes the delicate chemical balance in the vagina (and the vaginal flora), which can make a woman more prone to bacterial infections. It also can spread existing vaginal or cervical infections up into the pelvic organs (uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries).

Research shows that women who douche on a routine basis tend to have more problems than women who do not douche or who rarely douche. These problems include vaginal irritation, infections (called bacterial vaginosis or BV), and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Women who douche often are also more at risk for getting pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). PID is an infection of a woman's pelvic organs. It is caused by bacteria, which can travel from a woman's vagina and cervix up into her pelvic organs. If left untreated, PID can lead to infertility (not being able to get pregnant) and ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy in the fallopian tube instead of the uterus). Both BV and PID can lead to serious problems during pregnancy, such as infection in the baby, problems with labor, and early delivery. "

"

What is the healthiest and safest way to clean the vagina?

Because the chemical balance of the vagina is very sensitive, it is best to let the vagina clean itself. The vagina takes care of cleaning itself naturally through secretions of mucous. Warm water and gentle, unscented soap during the bath or shower is the best way to clean the outside areas of the vagina. Products like feminine hygiene soaps, powders and sprays are not necessary, and may be harmful. "

SOurce

Please remember to accept the reply if you find it useful. A BONUS and a positive rating would be duly appreciated,
regards
Dr. Gupta

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Gaurav Gupta's Post: Is the cramping I am having associated with the blood clot that was discharged? would that be a sign of miscarriage, I am not pregnant that I know of, my last period was last month
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.
Yes,

The cramping can be due to the brownish blood clot discharge. if you
have had no alteration of your periods, then a miscarriage woud be
unlikely. I would put it down to possibly retained blood clot from a
previous cycle. However confirmation would be only by a Ob/Gy
examination. If the symptoms are persistent then you shoudl go now, if
the symptoms have disappeared, then you may possibly wait for a cycle
and see if everything comes back to normal...

All the best

Please ACCEPT the reply, and give a BONUS if it was useful. If you
need more information, just let me know.

Regards

Dr. Gupta

Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 8 years ago.

I am happy to be of assistance if you have any further questions. In case you are satisfied with the reply, please ACCEPT it,

Regards

Dr. Gupta