Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert

My left eye moves involuntarely. Ive had an MRI and ...

Customer Question

My left eye moves involuntarely. I've had an MRI and the dr says it's ...nastagmus; although, he says in his career he's only seen this once & he decided to put me on a medication (tegratol) he said that studies had shown where someone tried it and it worked. To say the least, it didn't work for me, and my eye seems to be getting much worse. It's kind of like, if you pull your eye slanted-- like chineese eyes, that's what my vision does all day. My eye keeps moving on it's own and I'm beginning to get scared. I also think that my vision is starting to get worse as well. I do take 2 thyroid pills daily and am wondering if this may be the problem. Or if you have any suggestions of what may be going on with my eye or what I should do?

Optional Information: Female , Age: 33
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 10 years ago.

You say your vision is getting worse, such as? Sensitive to light or blurry vision? If so, it may be be what is called

Blepharospasm is the medical term for when your eyelid muscles repeatedly and rhythmically contract. In some instances, the eyelid may repeatedly close (or nearly close) and re-open.

Does this appear to be what is happening? Let me know and I can give you further information, if not, then can you let me know what appears to be happening with your vision.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: It's not my eyelid that is moving, it's the actual eye itself. The doctor says that my eye is moving on its own as if I've tilted my head sideways and the eye is rotating so that the world will not seem slanted or crooked. The eye is continiously moving on its own and the eyelid is not affected in amyway. And I can just be watching tv or reading when this occures, or driving down the road.
Expert:  Lindie replied 10 years ago.

For that it would be called Nystagmus: Here is an excellent site that explains this along with treatment

Read here

Here is a support group for this as well

Read here

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: I've already been told its Nystagmus. Thanks anway, I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Lindie replied 10 years ago.

The only thing I can suggest you do, is since you are on Thyroid medication is to see an endocrinologist since they deal with the thyroid a lot more in depth than a regular MD.

Hope this helps,