Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal

I have a rash on palms of my hands. What can it be I have

I have a rash on palms of my hands. What can it be? I have never had this before and I do not tend to be sensetive to anything.I AM 45 YEARS OLD.

Optional Information: Male
Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 11 years ago.
This could be a case of contact Dermatitis. It can be caused by things that you have touched such as detergents, chemicals, dyes in clothing, or poison ivy or oak. It can also in some cases be due to stress as one of the symptoms of stress is a reddening of the hands. The best way to treat this symptom is to determine the cause behind it. If you have been in contact with anything different even though you are not prone to sensativity it coould be a result from that. If you have been more stressed lately it could also be a symptom of that as well. I suggest that if this continues you may want to make an appointment with a dermatologist so they can better determine if this is allergy, medical, or stress related. If this is allergy related one thing that may help is a dose of Benadryl. If this seems to help clear up the redness in your hands then it would most likely be allergy related and you will have to determine what you have come into contact with and elinimate it for best results. If you have any further questions please let me know and I hope this information will be helpful to you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to cheryl kauffman's Post: I tried benadryl which did not help.The rash looks like little red spots under the skin of my palms and finger tips.This rash some times itches.
If the Benadryl did not help and you are seeing red rash spots under the skin then this is definately an allergic reaction to something you have been in contact with. If your hands are prone to sweating then they can become irritated and add to the rash that you are seeing. Latex products are commonly known for causing this reaction on the palms and fingertips. If you have been using anykind of latex goves or products then chances are you are allergic to them. If the Benadryl has not helped the only other home remedy that you could try would be an anti-fungal cream and if they have not grown smaller in apprearance since they started your best bet would be to contact your physician who can do some bloodwork to help determine what has caused this breakout. Most simple cases of skin allergies can heal on their own but if they are not responding to treatment then it is best to be seen by your physician. I would continue with the Benadryl and try some anti-fungal cream in the meantime but I do recommend that you make an appointment with your phsycian to help determine the cause especailly since you are not prone to being sensative to anything. This is most certainly a sign of an allergic reaction so try to think of what your hands have been in contact with that is different and eliminate the product from your household or work. I hope this additional information will be helpful to you and let me know if you have any further questions.