Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert
163146

hemorrhoid with blood clot surgery or not

Diagnosed with hemorrhoid with clot 8 days ago and still having a lot of pain. Tried sit baths etc. but still having pain. If I call my Dr he will recomment surgery What should I do continue with what I'm doing or surgery?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 9 years ago.

Only you can decide what is best for you.

The treatment for hemorrhoids is different depending on the severity of the problem. Most of the time, the treatment is conservative and performed at home.
Other than Sitz baths, there are the other possible things listed below that may help too. Then below it lists medical treatment that may help, if you have not done them or all of them you can talk with your doctor. If you have, then surgery is the next best thing for you. My Mom had it done, it's not that bad and you do feel better after. It doesn't mean you will never get them again, but hopefully with a few life style changes you can hopefully try to prevent them.

• Dietary changes

• Drink more liquids and eat more leafy green vegetables, which will make stools bulkier and softer to relieve constipation.

• Some people with constipation or hard stools may benefit from increasing the amount of bran and fiber in their diet.

• Stool softeners

• Stool softeners might also help.

• You should be cautious in choosing a laxative for your constipation.

• If a laxative causes watery, runny stools, it could cause an infection in the anus and should not be used.

• Sitting restrictions

• Some doctors also recommend people with hemorrhoids not sit for a long period of time.

• Some people feel more comfortable sitting on an air doughnut.

• Over-the-counter medications

• Many creams, ointments, and suppositories are sold as pain relievers and medicines for hemorrhoids.

• These medications are of little help and sometimes might even cause the hemorrhoids to take longer to heal, so consult with your doctor first.

|Medical Treatment|

• Thrombosed hemorrhoids

• If you develop a hemorrhoid with a clot (a thrombosed hemorrhoid), you will feel some pain.

• If the pain is not severe and the swelling is not too much, many times the doctor can treat you with hot sitz baths and bulking up the stools.

• If the pain is not tolerable or a large amount of swelling is present, however, it might be necessary to remove the blood clot. This procedure can be done in a doctor's office or emergency department but must not be attempted at home.

• When the clot must be removed, the hemorrhoid is numbed up with an anesthetic, just like at the dentist's office when a cavity must be filled.

• After the area is numb, the doctor will make a small cut in the hemorrhoid to remove the blood clot.

• A small piece of bandage will be put in the hemorrhoid to stop any bleeding and keep the clot from coming back.

• Another bandage will be put on the outside of the hemorrhoid as well. You will be started on sitz baths at home, and the dressing should be removed when you take your first one about 6-12 hours after the clot has been removed.

• Almost everyone has great relief of their pain after the clot is removed and needs only acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin) for pain.

• Prolapsed internal hemorrhoids

• If you have prolapsed internal hemorrhoids, which you are unable to push back through the anus, then your doctor may need to reduce them.

• Many times the doctor is able to gently push the hemorrhoids back into place.

• If the hemorrhoids are too swollen to be pushed back through the anus, then you may need a surgical procedure to relieve the swelling.

• If the hemorrhoids remain swollen and trapped through the anus and nothing is done, then the hemorrhoid will not receive enough blood and start to die.

• If this occurs, the hemorrhoid will become infected, and the infection can spread throughout the blood, making you very sick.

|Surgery|

• If you have continued bleeding, prolapsed hemorrhoids that cannot be pushed back into place, uncontrollable pain, or severe rectal itching, surgery is needed.

• The surgeon might inject the hemorrhoids with a medicine to shrink them or place small rubber bands around the hemorrhoids to cut off the blood supply so they will die. These procedures are usually done in the office and don't require you to be put to sleep or admitted to a hospital.

• Less commonly used treatments are cryotherapy in which the hemorrhoid is essentially frozen off, or laser therapy, in which the hemorrhoid is burned off.

• Sometimes, it is necessary for the surgeon to actually cut the hemorrhoids off. In this case you will need to be put to sleep or have a spinal anesthetic.

Outlook|

Most people with hemorrhoids have an excellent prognosis. You may have flare-ups of bleeding or slight discomfort from time to time, but they don't last long and can be relieved with care at home.

Certain people may worsen to the point of needing surgery. This surgery is fairly minor, and most will have significant improvement.

Hope this helps.

If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don’t forget to click the *accept* button!

Info

Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience: 17+ years, Healthcare Expert