Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,

My lips feel realy chapped and they have these tiny bumps ...

My lips feel realy chapped and they have these tiny bumps on them. I can feel the bumps but they're hard to see. WHat are they and will they go away?
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

The bumps are probably nothing to worry about. I bet if you get the chapping to heal, the bumps will go away as well.

For milder cases, keeping the lips protected with an emollient such as Vaseline or one of the lip balm sticks can be effective. When this doesn't work, occasionally a small amount of the over-the-counter strength hydrocortisone cream can decrease the inflammation enough so that the Vaseline may be effective. If this fails, the most effective treatment is called 1-2-3 Ointment or Rosen's Ointment. Your pharmacist can prepare this for you. It consists of 10 cc of Burrow's Solution mixed with 20 grams of Aquaphor and enough plain zinc oxide paste (about 30 cc) to make a two ounce container. This mixture is extremely protective and healing.

I hope this helps!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: Thank you I will try that, but what do you think the bumps are? They just appeared the other day and I don't know why.
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

I think they are probably either little pimples, or more likely they are slightly swollen lymph nodes that are in our lips. They would get bigger as a result of your sore lips. They will go away as your lips heal.