Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

My stool has been bright green for 3 days. What could cause ...

Customer Question

My stool has been bright green for 3 days. What could cause this? I can't think of anything I have done or eaten that is different.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 11 years ago.

If you have the occasional green stool—don't panic! Most likely it is normal, and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation. Think about the foods you ate, any vitamins or supplements you took—even if they're not green in color.

There can be many reasons why stool appears to be green. The first and most obvious reason is eating green foods. Green, leafy vegetables contain chlorophyll which could be coloring the stool green. Foods with dark purple coloring like Kool-Aid, popsicles, and gelatin (Jell-O) can also result in rainbow-colored stools. Iron supplements or even foods that are rich in iron can also give stool a green tinge.

Stool can also appear green for physical reasons, and not just from what you've been eating.

We think of a healthy stool as being brown. Bile that is secreted in the first part of the small intestine is actually green. As stool is digested and passed through the large intestine it is turned into a darker brown color.

If stool is still green by the time it is excreted, it could mean that it went through the large intestine too fast to be changed in color. This is often called "rapid transit" or "decreased colonic transit time" and diarrhea that is green in color could be the result.

If green stool continues, or your bowel habits have changed in other ways, you may want to call your doctor. This is especially true if you are experiencing diarrhea which can be an indication of other problems or could lead to dehydration.

http://ibscrohns.about.com/cs/otherdiseases/a/greenstool.htm

If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don’t forget to click the *accept* button!

zSB(3,3);if(!z336){var zIsb=gEI("adsb");if(zIsb){zIsb.style.display="inline";zIsb.style.height="0px";zIsb.style.width="0px";}var zIss=gEI("adss");if(zIss){zIss.style.display="inline";zIss.style.height="0px";zIss.style.width="0px";}}
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: None of those circumstances fit me. Your answer was of no help.
Expert:  Lindie replied 11 years ago.

Those are the reason for green stool.

Possible causes of symptom: Green stool: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Green stool as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.

Contents for Symptom: Green stool

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/green_stool.htm

If you need anything else please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: Please refund my deposit.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: You do not have to be rude to me. Your answer was not applicable to me.
Expert:  Lindie replied 11 years ago.

I'm not being rude, I'm just stating a fact. I don't know what answer you are looking for. You said you are having green stool. The above responses are the reason one has green stool. If you have an idea that goes beyond that please share. But those above are the main reason.. I'm here to help not be rude, nor have I have been told I was rude. Just as I had mentioned above "If you need anything else please feel free to ask"

Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

What kind of answer would be applicable? We are here to help. How can we do that?

Kerry