Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

My son got hairspray sprayed in his eyes, what should I do

Customer Question

My son is 9 years old and last night another child sprayed his eyes with hairspray. His eyes
are hurting when he looks side to side he says. I have been flushing them with filtered water. Is there anything else I should do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 11 years ago.
You have done the right thing by washing the eyes with water. No other first aid is needed. However in case their is significant pain &/or swelling please give him an anit-inflammatory like Motrin/ Tylenol and show to a physician.
Normally hairspray is considered to be one of the 'harmless' subtance to go into the eye and it should not have a severe reaction, but prolonged redness is a sign for a physician opinion,
for more information see this article:
Please get back to me if there are any more queries. Do remember to accept the answer if you find it useful. A positive rating and a bonus at your discretion would be appreciated.
Dr. Gupta