Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

what is sclerosis of sacroiliac joint

Customer Question

I had an x-ray due to pain in hip. I also have tingling in hand, tremors, and leg weakness. The x-ray showed sclerosis of sacroiliac joint.
The doctors also tell me I have Chiari 1 malformation with spinal cord compression and one doctor suspected MS.
I am curious what the sclerosis means as my primary physician said it was a normal x-ray.
Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 11 years ago.
I would like to answer your specific query on what is the meaning of sclerosis of sacroilica joint.
Sacroiliitis refers to inflammation of the sacro-iliac joints (of the pelvis). This starts with swelling (inflammation) and can later lead to fibrosis and in advanced stage the bones become fused together leading to sclerosis. This is usually a late stage and is visible on the xray. In the earlier stages the diagnosis rests on clinical examination (local point tenderness on sacroliac joints) and a bone scan may reveal the abnormality, while the xray would be normal.
OF course this would NOT explain your hand tremors or your leg weakness but would be the cause of your hip pain.
I am personally aware of the problem caused by this disease since my wife (also a physician) suffers from it.
Unfortunately there is no cure for this condition (just like other arthritis) and treatment is largely supportive. Pain-killers, rest and physiotherpay after the acute stage.
we are trying alternative therapy (homeopathy) but it is still early days yet though we feel there is definite improvement. Enough about me, all the best to you and do not hesitate to ask if you have any more queries.
Do remember to accept the reply if you find it useful
Dr. Gupta
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you for the definition of sclerosis. I am still puzzled by the tingling, pain, and tremors in right hand, leg weakness, headaches, and general extreme fatigue. Any ideas as to what it could be and suggestions on who I should see for a consult?
That is a difficult question to answer online since the symptoms are not very specific. If your GP cannot make anything out of it, I would recommend an appointment with a neurologist,
Dr. Gupta
P.S. I would appreciate if you could take some time out and give my reply a Positive rating as well, thank for accepting the reply