Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

swollen eyes after head injury

Customer Question

My father fell on the asphalt while he was being wheeled by my mother. He suffered a bump and bruise on his head and a strawberry on his knee. He was taken to the doctor immediately after the incident to be checked out and sent home with the doctor saying everything is okay. 1 day later his bump on his head is gone by his eye is swollen shut. 2 days later and both is eyes are black and blue & swollen shut. He is 84 years old and suffers from high blood pressure, thyroid and parkinson's disease. He was instructed on the 2nd day to discontinue taking plavix ( blood thinner). Is this normal? What could be causing the swelling in both his eyes?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
This is a 'normal' phenomena and it looks much worse than it actually is.
The reason for this is that there is a connection in the deep tissue of the head and the eyelids. Due to gravity the blood collected in the hematoma (bump on the head) tends to drain into the eyelid and makes it look black and blue. This is NOT due to direct eye trauma, and will resolve over a few days to weeks (like any other bruise).
Regards
Expert:  Kerry replied 9 years ago.

Dr Gupta is right.

I would also add,

When to seek urgent medical care
Seek urgent medical care if you have any of the following:

The blackened eyes are probably worse because he was on the plavix which is a blood thinner of sorts.

If he starts acting different, or has the above symptoms, it's time to have him re-evaluated.

Hope that helps,

Kerry

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Gaurav Gupta's Post: I understand the cause of the black and blue but what is causing the swelling to continue to increase. The bump was relatively small and the swelling seems to be getting progressively worse
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I understand the cause of the black and blue, but what is causing the swelling to increase? The bump was relatively small and the swellin seems to be getting progressivly worse.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
The swelling is possibly increasing due to two things:
1) Some internal bleeding that is still continuing (secondary to th use of blood thinner)
2) The initial bump was larger than what you suspected clinically and that blood is gravitating down to the eyelid
If here are none of the warning signs as mentioned by Kerry, I would just put a pressure bandage on the bump and wait, in case the swelling continues to worsen then maybe another look maybe needed in the ER