Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

legs ache all the time

My legs ache all the time, whether I'm working or just sitting around. Feels like the ache you get wih the flu but just in my legs. Some history, I've worked for 13 years on walking and standing on hard concrete floors and my age is 32 with 2 kids.
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

Most people get tired, aching legs at some time in their lives - usually from standing or sitting for long periods.

Those most likely to suffer are people who stand a lot without exercising their calf muscles, for example shop assistants, hairdressers and nurses. Even long-distance travel can cause discomfort and potentially more serious problems such as deep vein thrombosis.

When you walk or run, the calf muscles in the legs help to pump the blood in your legs back to the heart

However, during long periods of inactivity, blood can pool in the veins of the leg causing a feeling of heaviness and sometimes swollen ankles. This in turn can lead to aching and tiredness.

If these symptoms are allowed to persist over a period of time, it is quite likely that varicose veins will develop.

Tips to help prevent tired aching legs

• Avoid anything that restricts the circulation of the blood in your legs.
  • Do not sit for long periods with your legs crossed.
  • You may benefit from wearing support tights during long-distance travel.
  • Exercise your legs and ankles as much as possible
  • Whenever possible take the opportunity to elevate and rest your legs.

Try the following simple exercise to increase circulation in the legs
http://www.activahealthcare.co.uk/content/conditions/aching_legs.html

hope that helps,

Kerry