Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,

Is magnetic jewelry harmful during pregnancy

I sell magnetic jewelry and do not recommend that pregnant women wear it. Today, I saw a pregnant woman wearing a piece of magnetic jewelry that I did not sell to her. I did not say anything to her and it is bothering me... should I be concerned at all that it actually is harmful? Do you have any information beyond "its a good precaution"? Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.

DURING PREGNANCY WILL MAGNETS AFFECT THE BABY? Use of MRI procedures during pregnancy is considered safe for the developing fetus. However, we do advise against using magnets during pregnancy as a precautionary measure.

http://www.healthynewage.com/earthtethers.html

That's about all I can find as well. When in doubt, it's best to err on the side of caution.

Hope that helps,

Kerry

Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
Expert:  Shauna Johnson replied 8 years ago.
I had an MRI performed last Oct. during the last month of my pregnancy. I was told that the biggest concern was during the first two trimesters since that is when the largest amount of brain growth takes place. The third trimester is when the fetus gains it's weight, grows longer, etc.

I was told that they absolutely would not have performed the MRI on me during my first trimester, would have only performed it during my second during an emergency and were reluctantly doing it during my third b/c of my medical issues. I was required to sign several consent forms and they had to speak with my OB/GYN andXXXXX's in addition to my Orthopedic Doc!!

My doctor said that he knew that he was being overly cautious b/c it is thought to be safe, but that many times in the past they've thought things were safe and realized later on just how unsafe they actually were. Also, he felt that there really hasn't been enough research done on fetuses for anyone to know for sure one way or the other.

Now, after saying all of that.... the good news is that with the very small magnet she was wearing, it will hopefully be less of a risk then with something larger like an MRI. On the other hand, I do not know how long she wore the jewelry, b/c that may play a part in the equation. My child was fine having the MRI in my 3rd trimester, but I was definitely a little worried after hearing the various Dr's opinions on it.

I think I would definitely advise NOT to wear magnetic jewelry, but I don't think that if someone wore it & had an adverse result, that you can 100% blame it on the magnetic jewelry.

Hope that helps!
Shauna