Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

Birth control

Customer Question

I'm on the birth control pill Seasonale and I've been told that it takes up to a year for your body to adjust and have regulated periods which is suppose to be every 3 months.. well, I've been on Seasonale for 11 months and my periods are still not regulated. I have them while I'm still taking the active tablets. If I'm having my period while on my active tablets and not when on my non-active... can I get pregnant? I ask because I'm actually suppose to be having my period while on the non active but it's opposite.
Category: Health
Expert:  Jack Schroder replied 11 years ago.
Your doctor should tell you about this. If he prescribed this medicine, then he had better know the answers. Ask him.
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

HiCustomer/P>

From what I'm finding in researching Seasonale, it may be that it is not strong enough for you:

Here's an article I found from the AP about Seasonale and break through bleeding:
http://www.doctors-4u.com/articles_2.htm

One possible disadvantage associated with use of the new drug may be breakthrough bleeding, due to the moderately low dose (30 micrograms) of estrogen in Seasonale. Breatkthrough bleeding is spontaneous or "unscheduled" bleeding or spotting that occurs outside the time frame of the a woman’s normal menstrual cycle. Traditional oral contraceptives use anywhere from 20 to 35 micrograms per dose; the lower the dose of estrogen, the higher the rate of breakthrough bleeding. Seasonale’s manufacturer reports breakthrough bleeding rates similar to those that would occur with one-month’s use of a 30 microgram oral contraceptive, says Dr. Sole. But that potential for breakthrough bleeding during prolonged menstrual suppression could be an issue for some women, she says. She also said that for women taking oral contraceptives who need a 35- rather than a 30-microgram estrogen dose to curb breakthrough bleeding, Seasonale will not be an option.
http://www.justanswer.com/JA/ASP_AF/T_67027/TR/birth-control.htm

Hope that helps!
Kerry

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
could I get pregnant if I was on my period when I was on my active tablets and now I'm on my non active tablets but not on my period?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: is there a possibility of me becoming pregnant when not having my period and on the non active tablets? I'm not sure how that works.. I really have no choice ya know... I go so long taking the active ones and I need a break which is when I'm suppose to be menstruating.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jack Schroder's Post: I expect more of an answer than that... sorry.
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

Customer/P>

Because the pills might not be a strong enough dose of hormone for you, you might still ovulate, and yes, you might still get pregnant. If you are having your period, you are probably not ovulating. If you are not having your period, you might be IF this pill is not strong enough for your body.

You could try a home pregnancy test.

If it were me, I'd get another kind of pill. but that's just me, and you would have to discuss that with your doctor.

When are you due to go in for a check up?

Hope that helps,

Kerry

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: well... I'm still on my in active pills and I just started my period again this month. I'm definitely not pregnant but you say that the seasonale still may not be strong enough for me? Could I still be adjusting to it?
Customer
This reply is directed to anyone who reads it.
I'm sorry if you think my answer was not adequate. You got the same answer from Kerry at the end of her responses. If a doctor prescribes a medicine he is obligated to tell his patient what that medicine is, what he expects it to do, and what, if any, adverse reactions you should be aware of. If he does not do these things he is open to a malpractice action should you become ill or if this medicine does not do as it should for you. That is a simple fact.
Over and over again I see patients asking tbis web site questions that only their doctors can and should answer. We here do not know if you are taking this medicine correctly, if it is the right medicine for you, or even why you are taking it. Your doctor should know these things. So, when I say 'ask your doctor' I am trying to help you. Make him earn his fee.
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

Hi You could still be adjusting to it. If the break through bleeding happens again during your next cycle of active pills, then I would be more concerned that this pill isn't strong enough. You should be coming up on your one year check up too, so remember to ask all these questions there as well. This is my take on it.

Kerry