Jack Schroder
Jack Schroder, retired investigator for Pub Health
Experience:  I have written two books on medical malpractice. Many years grad hours in Public Health
3803

best treatment for a skin disease named Lichen Pelanus..genital area

Customer Question

What is the best treatment for a skin disease named Lichen Pelanus? I use steroid cream and it works at once but I know that is not good for skin at all, specially in genital area. Please give me the name of medicine or soap if there is any. I hear it may apear on tongue and nails as well and I am not sure if the white stuf on my tongue and also my very soft nails are caused by that too or not. Is there any oral treatment so it fixes all body? Please dont refer me to Dermatologists because I have seen tons of them and they have all said that we dont know yet what causes Lichen Pelanus so we can direct you to the specific treatment. But I am sure there are always some over the counter new medication which are helpful.
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

hi Ali

There is no known cure for skin lichen planus, but treatment is often effective in relieving itching and improving the appearance of the rash until it goes away. Since every case of lichen planus is different, no one treatment does the job. Topical corticosteroids are very useful. Antihistamines may be prescribed to relieve itching. Extensive cases may require the use of oral corticosteroid (cortisone, prednisone) for a number of weeks. This usually shortens the duration of the outbreak. For severe cases powerful treatments include photo chemotherapy light treatment (PUVA), the retinoids drugs (Soriatane and Accutane), Neoral and Plaquenil.

Other helpful measures include soothing baths (Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal, Nutrasoothe) and the application of wet dressings (tap water, Burows solution 1:40) to the affected areas to help reduce itching. Also, the use of lotions containing anti-itch ingredients such as menthol, pramoxine and phenol (Sarna, Aveeno cream, Prax, Itch-X) may be helpful.

As it heals, lichen planus often leaves a dark brown discoloration of the skin. Like the bumps themselves, these stains may eventually fade with time without treatment. About one out of five people will have a second attack of lichen planus.
http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/lichen_planus.html

Hope that helps!

Kerry

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: As I said in my question, I knew there is no known cure for Lichen Pelanus and like I told I am already using steroids (Clobetasole) and it really works in a second, but it kills the skin tissues if I use it a lot and for somebody like me who have the problem on genital area steroids like corticosteroids that you recommended are not a very good idea. I have also used anti-itching products, no result for me. What I am exactly looking for is a treatment or medicine other than steroids.
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

I'm truly sorry I could not come up with more information for you.

I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX another specialist can help you.

Kerry

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: Thanks a lot for trying help me. I am really looking for kind of cure for this problem that has messed up my life anyway.
Expert:  Jack Schroder replied 11 years ago.
I suggest you go to a University Medical School clinic. Here you will get help from doctors who are close to the most recent research. In all cases of poorly understood medical problems, these hospital clinics offer the most help
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jack Schroder's Post: Thanks for the suggestion. I ve done that too once but since the problem is in the genital area that is kind of embarresing and all the people who are passing their internships gather right next to ur naked body and give you ideas and their let s say superviser who is an experienced dermatologist will prescribe nothing but steroid. That is good a lot for them to study than the patiants to get cure.
Sorry that you have had a poor experience. I do believe that you need more expert advice than what you have been given so far. Keep your search for help going. See if you can find a support group through the internet. Often exchanging information with others who have the same problem can lead to somethiong that helps. Maybe you've already sone this, but if not, give it a shot. You may find a treatment that is not orthodox that does work.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jack Schroder's Post: Alright. That is what I have started yesterday and am going to do, keep searching.