Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

Anxiety Problems and Poison Ivy

Customer Question

What treatments should be taken to heal all parts of the nervous system? Such that you can gain full control over your thoughts, emotions?

About few months ago, I picked up and began suffering from anxiety, and I'm afraid that if I'm not helped, and if I'm not given the knowledge to what would heal me, that it would get much worse.

I currently can't afford to go to the hospital as I went already and I'm still making payments on the last time I've went. Something affordable and what I can do to be treated and eliminate this problem would be benefical.

So any help (if there is any) would be appreciated.

Also, I've had poison ivy for the last probably 6 to 7 months, and couldn't afford to be treated, and I'm not sure if that's helping to trigger the anxiety, but any information on how to treat poison ivy would be greatful. I've tread calamine lotion, and zanfeild but for me that didn't work, if it is poison ivy.

Thanks for any help
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

Hello

First, lets address the poison ivy:

The rash (allergic contact dermatitis) from poison ivy, oak, or sumac generally is mild and can be treated at home. Home treatment for the rash usually helps relieve symptoms rather than speeding up the time it takes the rash to heal.

• If you know you had contact with one of the plants, immediately wash areas of the skin that may have touched the plant. Sometimes the rash can be completely avoided by washing the affected areas with plenty of water within 10 or 15 minutes of contact. However, most people have up to 4 hours to wash the plant oil off before a reaction occurs. 2 Clothing should also be thoroughly washed immediately. Contaminated surfaces should be cleaned with rubbing alcohol.
  • To relieve itching and help dry blisters, apply wet compresses or soak the area in cool water. Antihistamine pills or calamine lotion may help relieve symptoms.
  • To prevent infection, try not to scratch the rash and cut your fingernails short to minimize the possibility of opening the skin and spreading bacteria.
    http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/hw75039/hw75160

You will also want to wash any clothing that has come in contact with the rash in hot soapy water so you don't re-infect the areas.

Now, for the anxiety:

Home treatment, combined with professional treatment, can help relieve anxiety.

• Recognize and accept your anxiety about specific fears or situations, and then make a plan for dealing with them. For example, if you are constantly worrying about finances, set up a budget or savings plan.
  • Don't dwell on past problems. Change what you can to help you feel more comfortable with present concerns, but let go of past problems or things you cannot change.
  • Be kind to your body:

• Relieve tension with vigorous exercise or massage.
    • Practice relaxation techniques.
    • Get enough rest.
    • Avoid alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, and nicotine. They may increase your anxiety level.

• Engage your mind:

• Get out and do something you enjoy, such as going to a funny movie or taking a walk or hike.
    • Plan your day. Having too much or too little to do can make you more anxious.
    • Keep a record of your symptoms. Discuss your fears with a good friend. Confiding in others sometimes relieves stress.

• Get involved in social groups, or volunteer to help others. Being alone can make things seem worse than they are.
  • Learn about resources available in your community:

• Talk with your human resources officer about counseling benefits that may be available through your employee assistance program.
    • Check with your insurance company to see what mental health benefits are available.
    • Contact your public health department for information on community mental health programs.
      http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/anxty/hw257239

Hope that helps you!

Kerry

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: Okay, thanks for your answer.

About the poison ivy, the rash has been there and hasn't gone away I'd say for probably maybe 9 months now. It hasn't spreaded or anything, well, just a little, and I've washed and still doesn't go away. I just tried to hang in there because I couldn't afford treatment, or knew of anything that works to help relieve it and heal it. If you know of any remedies to remove it, would be grateful.

As for the panic-axiety, I've been doing many things to help deal with it, I've learned somethings that help, but it came back. I just keep trying to maintain myself that's all. Any thing you know that can help cure it for good?

Thanks
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

Hi again

You may have something called ring worm. Don't worry, it's not worms really. It's the same fungus as athletes foot. You can get over the counter cream for athletes foot and use that on your rash, and see if it doesn't clear it up.

Thanks for getting back to me.

If you liked my answers, please consider clicking on the accept button?

Thanks,

Kerry