Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

Almost 5 months late

Customer Question

Hello i was wondering if someone could help me. I am going on five months late. I have took pregnacy tests one right after another and they all show up negative. I'm hurting in the lower part of my back and sometimes i hurt in the lower part of my stomach. I have a clear discharge and I'm going to the bathroom more often now. I cramp alot, but that is all. Please someone help me? Email me [email protected]
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

Hello

First of all, if you are five months pregnant, you would be showing a belly by now. If repeated pregnancy tests have been negative, you probably aren't pregnant.

Have you had a depo shot in the past? Sometimes it can take up to a year before you will get your period again after the depo shot.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to give your doctor a call and explain your symptoms to him/her or his nurse. They can tell you your options for the next step to take.

I wish you the best,

Kerry

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: Thank you for responding to my question. I would like to know alittle more about this. I'm 24 years old and I just had a baby boy last September. I got on the patch shortly after I had him and about three months later I went off of it because I couldn't afford it any longer. I have never had a depo shot nor have I ever taken anything else. Like I said before I have taken about 10 home tests and they all show up negative. Would a yeast infection or any other kind of infection keep me from having my period? I have never been this late before. What could be causing me to be late? Any ideals????
                      thank you, sheila
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

Hi again! Thanks for getting back to me.

Here is more information I found on the web.

Secondary amenorrhea happens when a woman who has menstruated previously fails to menstruate for three months. Secondary amenorrhea can be caused by:

• Pregnancy (the most common cause)
  • Breastfeeding (lactation)
  • Menopause, the normal age-related end of menstruation
  • Premature ovarian failure (menopause before age 40)
  • Hysterectomy (surgical removal of the uterus)
  • Stopping birth control pills
  • Use of a long-acting progesterone, such as Depo-Provera, for birth control
  • Tumors of the pituitary gland, especially prolactinomas
  • Polycystic ovary disease, a condition that causes abnormal levels of estrogen, luteinizing hormone and other hormones
  • Endocrine disorders such as Cushing's syndrome, in which there are very high levels of cortisol, an adrenal hormone, or hyperthyroidism, abnormally high levels of thyroid hormone
  • Emotional or physical stress
  • Rapid weight loss
  • Obesity
  • Frequent strenuous exercise
  • Chronic (long-term) illness, such as colitis, kidney failure or cystic fibrosis
  • Chemotherapy for cancer
  • Cysts or tumors in the ovaries

Amenorrhea affects 2% to 5% of all women of childbearing age in the United States. Female athletes, especially young women, may be more likely to have amenorrhea. While exercise or physical activity itself does not cause amenorrhea, it is more likely to occur in women who exercise very intensely or who increase the intensity of exercise rapidly. Women who engage in sports associated with lower body weight, such as ballet dancing or gymnastics, are more likely to develop amenorrhea than women in other sports.

Symptoms

Amenorrhea is a symptom in itself. Any associated symptoms will depend on the problem that is causing the missed menstrual periods. For example, various forms of hormone imbalance may cause amenorrhea together with excess body and facial hair, acne, a lowering of the voice, an altered sex drive, breast milk secretions, weight gain, or several or all these symptoms.

Diagnosis

Your doctor will ask you about:

• The date of your last menstrual period
  • Whether you are sexually active
  • Your birth control methods
  • Your pregnancy history
  • Your eating habits, rapid weight changes, obesity or extreme underweight
  • Your typical monthly menstrual patterns (regular cycles or irregular cycles)
  • The age when your mother entered menopause (many mothers and daughters enter menopause at about the same age)
  • The amount of stress in your life, and how you deal with it
  • Your exercise regimen
  • The types of medications you are taking

If your doctor is concerned about a specific cause of amenorrhea, such as a hormonal abnormality, he or she will ask additional questions about specific hormone-related symptoms, such as acne, increased body hair, extreme sensitivity to cold temperatures, dry skin, constipation, hair loss or unusual breast secretions. If you are an athlete, especially a runner, your doctor will ask you to describe your training program, particularly if your body fat is below 22% or if your weight is less than 80% of ideal.

Next, your doctor will review your medical history and do a general physical examination, followed by a thorough pelvic exam. Once your doctor has determined that you are not pregnant, he or she will try to identify the underlying cause of your absent periods. In many cases, this can be done with the following simple tests:

• Blood and urine tests — These can detect imbalances of female hormones caused by problems with the pituitary gland or ovaries. If problems are found, additional tests can be done to check whether your levels of thyroid and adrenal hormones are normal.

• Pelvic ultrasound — This painless test uses sound waves to look for problems in the structure of your uterus and ovaries.

• Progesterone challenge test — Your doctor may treat you with the hormone progesterone for a few days to see whether this causes you to have a menstrual period. If menstrual bleeding occurs, your amenorrhea is probably related to a condition called anovulation, which means you are not releasing a mature egg in the middle of your menstrual cycle. If bleeding does not occur, your doctor will order blood tests to check your levels of follicle-stimulating hormone. These levels can help to determine whether your problem is in the ovaries or hypothalamus.

If these tests do not pinpoint the cause of your missed periods, additional specialized testing may be necessary. Diagnosing amenorrhea sometimes can be fairly complicated, since there are so many potential causes.

Expected Duration

In many teenagers with primary amenorrhea, puberty is late, but there is no permanent problem. For women with secondary amenorrhea, how long amenorrhea lasts depends on the cause. For example, pregnancy will stop a woman's menstrual periods until after childbirth, while a woman who stops taking birth control pills may not have a period for three months to a full year. Emotional or physical stress may block the release of luteinizing hormone, causing amenorrhea that lasts for as long as the source of stress remains. Rapid weight loss or gain, medications and chronic illness also can cause a woman to miss one or more periods. Amenorrhea is permanent after menopause begins or after hysterectomy.

Prevention

In many cases, teenage girls can help to prevent primary amenorrhea by following a sensible exercise program and by maintaining a normal weight for their height and age. Primary amenorrhea caused by anatomic abnormalities of the reproductive tract cannot be prevented. To prevent secondary amenorrhea that is related to diet, over-exercise or stress, you can take the following steps:

• Eat a low-fat diet that meets your recommended daily nutritional needs.
  • Exercise moderately, but not excessively, to maintain an ideal body weight and muscle tone.
  • Find healthy outlets for emotional stress and daily conflicts.
  • Balance work, recreation and rest.
  • Avoid excessive alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking.

Treatment

Primary amenorrhea caused by late puberty usually does not need to be treated because the condition will go away on its own. For primary amenorrhea caused by certain genetic (inherited) abnormalities, treatment depends on the problem. For example, if a genetic defect prevents the ovaries from functioning properly, a young girl may be given supplemental ovarian hormones to allow her to develop normal secondary sex characteristics (breast development, pubic hair) and to prevent osteoporosis (bone-thinning disease), which can be caused by low estrogen levels. If amenorrhea is caused by a structural problem, such as a vagina that is an unusual shape or doesn't have an opening, surgery is usually necessary.

If you have secondary amenorrhea due to menopause or a hysterectomy, your doctor will prescribe medications to prevent osteoporosis and other complications of low estrogen levels. For other forms of secondary amenorrhea, the type of treatment depends on the cause:

• Stress — If emotional stress is the problem, your doctor may advise you to enroll in a stress-management course.

• Obesity — If obesity is triggering the condition, your doctor will outline a diet and exercise program aimed at helping you lose weight and improve overall fitness.

• Excessive athletic training — If strenuous training is interrupting your menstrual cycle, your doctor will recommend a more moderate program. This will help normal menstruation to start again. It also will also decrease your risk of conditions related to low levels of estrogen, such as osteoporosis, heart disease, infertility and thinning of the tissues lining the vagina.

• Hormone imbalance — If altered hormone levels are preventing ovulation (release of an egg from the ovary), your doctor may prescribe supplemental hormones.

• Tumors or cysts in the ovaries, uterus or pituitary gland — If cysts or tumors are causing amenorrhea, treatment depends on their type and location. Surgery is sometimes necessary.

When To Call A Professional

You should contact your doctor if you have reached your 14th birthday and have not started to develop breasts or pubic hair, or if you have reached your 16th birthday and have not had your first menstrual period.

If you are sexually active, call your doctor if you miss a period, since you will need to have a pregnancy test. If you are not sexually active, see your doctor if you have missed three consecutive menstrual periods, or if your periods are irregular.

Prognosis

Amenorrhea rarely is caused by a life-threatening condition. In most instances, symptoms and conditions related to amenorrhea are reversible and treatable.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/9443.html

Please let me know if that helps!

Kerry