xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
94965

medical question

Customer Question

is amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium pills stronger than a z pack and ciparo to treat chlamydia?
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

DP

It's not a matter of what's stronger. It's a matter of what antibiotic will kill the bug that you have. Each bug or infection responds to different antibiotics. Hope that makes sense.

Kerry

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Kerry's Post: is the amoxicillin/clavulanic acid pill an effective antibiotic in fighting chlamydia?
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Drug of choice (IMHO) is azithromycin ("Z pack"). 1 dose of 1
gram should do the trick.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate (Augmentin) should work, but will
require probably a 7 day course of treatment. This is handy if
azithromycin-resistance is suspected. (Doxycycline would
be an alternative).

Cipro is not recommended.
xarqi, Generalist
Experience: 
Expert:  David M. Baron, MD replied 11 years ago.
Although I agree with the general concept of susceptibility stated above, amoxicillin/clavulanate is not on the recommended treatment list of the CDC. Zithromax is more expensive but may be more effective. A less expensive alternative to Zithromax is doxycycline.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: what amount of mgs. should the dose be of each augmentin pill to effectively fight chlamydia or gonorrehea?
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.

OK - bearing in mind that augmentin is not the first line

recommendation for either indication, the best dosing strategy

would probably be:

3 grams (that is 3000 mg) initially (mostly to hit the gonorrhea)

250mg every 8 hours for 7 days for the chlamydia.

Other responders, please feel free to give your opinions here.

And the usual disclaimer - my advice is just given as a

suggestion, and you should consult with your usual medical

practitioner for confirmation.

---

P.S.
That initial 3g dose looks high, with the normal induction dose

being given as 875 mg in the drug literature. However, there is

a paper
here
where two 3g doses 4h apart were trialed and found effective in
treatment of gonorrhea.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: how long should a person wait after taking the full dose or last dose of a z pack before drinking any kind of alcohol so the z pack has the full effect it needs to have?
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
I'm sorry if I seem abrupt, but how many questions do you
expect me to respond to before you actually accept an answer
and pay for it?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
im sorry i am completely new to this site i accepted your answer correctly i believe hope you can continue to help with the last question thanks in advance.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Alcohol can inhibit the bacterial activities that are needed for
azithromycin to function to kill off the bacteria. I suggest that
you avoid alcohol for at least one day before taking it, and two
days after (assuming you are taking the azithromycin as a single
dose).