Delores Casso
Delores Casso, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience:  Paramedic, Family Practice, OB, GYN, Internal Med. ER
83372

why do i have dried blood inside my vagina

Customer Question

A couple of months ago i had a very heavy and painful menstrual period that lasted for six weeks. I started oral birth control to regulate my cycle. I am in my second month of birth control and I still have had break through bleeding but it is very dark and dry. It is flaky looking in the toilet after I remove my tampon. I am still crampy with low back pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  Delores Casso replied 11 years ago.
You have dried blood because the vagina is a tubular organ, but it's not smooth...it has nooks and folds of skin. Don't worry and please don't douche as the vagina is a self-cleaning organ of the body. Give your birth control 3 months to get regulated...that's about the time it takes. If you are still having break through bleeding, you may need a stronger pill. In the meatime, make sure you are using a condom for back up protection. Hope that helps you :)
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Delores Casso's Post: The doctor who examined me yesterday told me that it was not normal to have the excess of blood still in the vagina 4 weeks after my period. She was not forthcoming of much more information but suggested that I douche. I did speak to my OBGYN's nurse yesterday and she said that I had to come in for the Doctor to look at me and not to douche befor an exam. I was trying to avoid another pap smear since I do not have health insurance anymore. I am not sure whether your answer helps me or confused me further. I have had so many female problems lately. Sex is the last thing on my mind. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Kerry replied 11 years ago.

Hi

Usually our natural body fluids keep our vagina's clean. In fact other than occasionally, douche's should not be used regularly. They take away our natural body fluids which carry substances that help keep the bad germs away. The one's that cause yeast infections.

Have you noticed you are dryer than before in the vaginal area? It should be moist with occasional white or clear discharge which is normal.

I wish you well.

Kerry

OK...your post makes more sense to me. You probably won't get another Pap smear unless the other one was abnormal. The Dr. may just want to do a quick exam. I'm sorry about your Dr not being very forthcoming with you. I still think that probably your pill is not strong enough. You are in my most positive thoughts...I know it is not fun going to the GYN. Take care,Customer:)