Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

my legs..me ,My left leg is almost numb..spine..I drag my right leg

Customer Question

I have been having swelling in my legs and my feet(ankles), I am a parkinson patient.. Please help me ,My left leg is almost numb after, I was giving a spine epideral by a pain management Dr. and I drag my right leg.,I do not have stength to pick it up,I have to wald witha walker because of it. everything else seems fine,o but I just remember , I am also participating in a research(parkinson), and I am given a ekg& urine analysis, they always find bacteria in my urine as tho I have a urinary tract infection, but I do not the coctors have cultured it and they say I do not have an infection, but I do hshow white bllod cells. what could that be.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear Irene,

Abnormal swelling of the legs, ankles and feet is called peripheral edema. Painless swelling of the feet and ankles is a common problem, particularly in older people. It may affect both legs and may include the calves or even the thighs. Because of the effect of gravity, swelling is particularly noticeable in these locations. Prolonged standing, Long airplane flights or automobile rides, Being overweight, Increased age, Injury or trauma to your ankle or foot...can also be causes for edema. Swollen legs may be a sign of heart failure, kidney failure, or liver failure. In these conditions, there is too much fluid in your body. Other conditions that can cause swelling to one or both legs include: Blood clot, Leg infection, Venous insufficiency (when the veins in your legs are unable to adequately pump blood back to the heart), Burns including sunburn, varicose veins, Insect bite or sting, Surgery to your leg or foot. Certain medications may also cause your legs to swell: Hormones like estrogen (in birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy) and testosterone, A group of blood pressure lowering drugs called calcium channel blockers (such as nifedipine, amlodipine, diltiazem, felodipine, and verapamil), Steroids, Antidepressants, including MAO inhibitors (such as phenelzine and tranylcypromine), and tricyclics (such as nortriptyline, desipramine, and amitriptyline). Some home care that you might try is...Elevate your legs above your heart while lying down. Exercise your legs. This helps pump fluid from your legs back to your heart. Wear support stockings (sold at most drug and medical supply stores). Try to follow a low-salt diet, which may reduce fluid retention and swelling. The white blood cells are showing that there is an infection somewhere in the body... You also mentioned that you were doing a research for parkinsons, this could be a side effect of the medication they are giving you also, so You might tell your doctor about this and see if maybe he can give you something different. I am including a website for your reference in case you would like a little more information.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/9883.html

Good luck to you, and I hope you're feeling better soon.