Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Voc Rehab Counselor, M. Ed.
Experience:  Disability/Rehab Consultant. Broad knowledge of many chronic and acute health problems.
14607

I usually experience muscle spasms in my upper back

Customer Question

I usually experience muscle spasms in my upper back. For the first time, I have one in lower back. Using Ibuprofen. Pretty much incapacitated. Have a real knot here.
Category: Health
Expert:  I Listen & Care replied 11 years ago.
Customer
I would be glad to try and answer your question for you if you would pay the deposit so we know you are really interested in enlisting the time & help of specialists.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a great day,
Judi
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.

Back spasms can certainly be both painful and incapacitating. The
good news is that most low back pain can be resolved with home
treatment in about three to six weeks.

Key elements to home treatment include rest, strengthening exercises
and learning -- and using -- proper technique, when lifting anything.

This reference should get you started.

Remember to see a doctor if your symptoms worsen -- or if your symptoms failed to get better within a reasonable length of time.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my
efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer. Adding
a bonus -- should you wish to do so -- is always warmly welcomed.

Good Luck!

Steve

Experience: Disability/Rehab Consultant. Broad knowledge of many chronic and acute health problems.

I have taken the time to post -- what I think is a helpful answer to
your question. However, you will not be able to view my answer
until you make a five dollar deposit. Making the deposit allows
you to view my answer but does not obligate you to pay for it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear chenys,

When you have back spasms, it is normally due to something that you have done previously to hurt your back. You may not have noticed it at the time, but the resulting pain starts out in spasms a lot of the time, that are trying to tell you that you have done something. Waiting on something like this can eventually wind you up in the hospital having back surgery, and never being the same. You need to see your doc, and ask about an MRI to see what is going on inside. It could be as simple as some compressed nerves or could be a herniated disc. You are having moderate symptoms now, at least your doc can give you something to take away the pain and a muscle relaxer, while he is finding out the real problem. That is the medication that I have to be on and it does work. At least you can sleep.

Good luck to you, and see your doc soon!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: Just for the record:

I am orthopedically unsound, but I deal with it.

I have scoliosis, which isn't TOOO bad; I also have a repaired total ACL tear in one knee and an unrepaired partial ACL in the other.

I don't want any muscle relaxants. Hate 'em.

I have been in intermittent physical therapy all my life and I believe absolutely in the discipline.

All a doctor will do is prescribe meds that I will not take -- although I am happy to take the equivalent of 2 or 3 Motrins for a couple of days.

The medical diagnosis of my problems is that I am not as strong as I was when I was younger, and should be working on that. I am.

I was hoping for a clever exercise. I have some for my upper back but not lower.

Anyway, thanks.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: Stop yelling at me.

I am trying to figure out this system.

A little pilot error doesn't make me a cheapskate -- and you are a meanie.
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Customer

It might have helped some if you would have "stipulated" that Exercises, is what you were looking for. We are not mind readers, and when you don't say what you are looking for, or fail to give us important information like...you have scoliosis, or are "orthapedically unsound", or you hate muscle relaxers that are for muscle spasms but "Will" be happy to take ibuprofen, AND...you know your own diagnosis,... Then that makes things a little bit different and will obviously alter any information other specialists might would have suggested. All you mentioned to us was...muscle spasms in the upper and lower back...using Ibuprofen... incapacitated and a "knot" in your back...I'm sorry that I do not see anywhere in there where... "You were looking for "clever" exercises." You made it sound like an emergent condition which was very misleading...then the only person that "did" figure out maybe what you were wanting...you accused him of "yelling" at you??

YOU my dear are the "Meanie". You are in my prayers.

Customer

Thank you for accepting my answer-- although, considering the follow-up
information that you posted about your health, as well as your attitude toward
medications -- I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would accept my answer.

The other message I sent you is a standard 'Deposit Reminder' -- which
I send to all non-deposit Customers -- simply to alert them I have
posted an answer to their Question and that making a Deposit is necessary
to be able to read answers.

The tone of the message is intended to be helpful and informative -- not coercive. To that end, it clearly states in part:

"Making the deposit allows
"

For what it's worth, I have probably send this message out to at least
100 Customers -- and you are the first one who has reported being offended by it.

Be that as it may, I apologize for any misunderstanding that my message may have inadvertently caused.

In future, please keep in mind that the more information which is
provided in a Question -- the greater the chances that the answer(s)
provided will be satisfactorily informative and helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Good Luck!

Steve