Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

Colon problems

Customer Question

I am a 51 year old woman. I have been under a great deal of stress lately. I also have had hemorroids in the past but they have not bothered me for a long time. In my lower abdomen it feels like something is going on. Like cramping but not exactly. Just slight discomfort. Also, for the last few years my BM's have been loose and yellow. I told my doctor about this but she didn't seem concerned. For the past few days when I have a BM there has been bright red blood (water in toilet bowl is bloody) and I have been passing blood clots from the rectum. Could this possibly be caused from the stress or are these symptoms of colon cancer or something?
Category: Health
Expert:  Delores Casso replied 11 years ago.
Hi...
When you are passing blood in your stools, that is an indicator that something is wrong. You should really go to the ER today and get an exam that includes blood work to make sure you have not lost too much blood. A procedure called a colonoscopy will determine what is causing your bleeding. I hope this helps. Good luck and please go today.
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear Pammy,

I agree with Delores completely, you need to go to the er asap. Do not wait. What is going on with you is not stress related and from what it sounds like to me you have an intestinal bleed somewhere. You are seeing clots because your body is trying to "stop" the bleeding on its own...and is unable to. I would imagine that your hemoglobin is very low and you may need a transfusion also. Do not put this off any longer, as this is an emergent condition. There are many things that can be going on with these symptoms and they must be investigated further. Please don't wait any longer, take yourself out to the hospital while you still can...before someone else has to do it for you.

Good luck to you, you are in my prayers...