Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

sensation..areas of my body which is extremely distressing..our chests

Customer Question

i have been treated for scabies twice now with lyclear 5% perethrin at a fortnightly interval. just 4 days later i feel a crawling sensation in a number of areas of my body which is extremely distressing. i followed al the advice but didn't clean our chests of drawers out, the only thing i forgot. could we be reinfected so soon!
Category: Health
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

All people in the household who have had close skin-to-skin contact with a scabies affected person during the past month must be treated. This usually includes everyone in the home, even if they don't have symptoms. (Symptoms take 4 to 6 weeks to develop after a person is infested.) It is important to treat the bedding and clothing of the affected person to destroy any live scabies mites as soon as prescription treatment begins.There is no nonprescription medication that can cure a scabies infestation. Nonprescription lice medications are not strong enough to kill scabies mites. If you think you may have scabies, do not use nonprescription products before consulting a health professional; doing so could make it difficult to diagnose your condition. While these medications do not cure scabies, you can use one of the following nonprescription medications to relieve itching: Corticosteroid cream (such as hydrocortisone cream). This type of medication may make the scabies sores look different and make it harder for your doctor to diagnose the problem. Only use this medication after your doctor has seen and diagnosed your condition. Oral antihistamines (such as Benedryl). These medications will not interfere with the diagnosis or treatment of scabies. If these suggestions do not work, then it may be that you need to give your doc a call and get something that might be a little stronger. And you say you have tried everything but cleaning out your drawers, then clean them to - although more than likely it is being reinfested by another person that has not been treated yet.

Good luck to you...

Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: could i reinfection have come via the children at school? obviously they have not taken a full incubation time for the scabies off school. the kids are no way bad as i am having 1-4 itchy sites but i wonder if there could be a problem with school friends my ONLY outside contact recently. other than that is there any other explanation for the all over 'tickling and itching'
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

First of all I would like to thank you so much for the accept! It is greatly appreciated! Yes dear, there is a possibility that friends could keep reinfecting you, for your own protection... until they are also treated. Just remember, every time they are at your home, or you are at theirs, you have the possibility of you or your children being reinfected....so be careful, and don't "share" anything.

Good Luck to you.