Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

Granddaughter

two year old granddaughter will not eat Only exist on two bottle a day. She refuses cheese, eggs, pasta, never ate baby food, only baby fruit. She will eat one or two strawberries, but one or two then she says all done. She gets no protein at all. Her doctors say take away the two bottle and starve her she will eat. She's never had a good appetite and I think it would be a war of wills. Why would she start eating thins she refused to eat? We need help.

Dearququququ,

When my son was young he was that way also. We could not get him to eat for nothing, no matter what we offered him...and now my grandson is the same way. When this happened to my son, the doctor gave him a prescription of what is called "Periactin Syrup" that stimulates appetite. I had learned about it when my daddy was sick from cancer treatments and would not, and could not eat. This did absolute wonders for my son! within a couple of days, this child who would eat nothing was eating us out of house and home, and so we got it also for my grandson - whom looks like a little tooth pick - and it has done wonders for him! When my daughter got her prescription for my grandson, her doctor told her, that they just don't get much call for it anymore, and he hadn't thought of it...that sometimes they will use it for people in the nursing home who will not eat...but he gave it to her and my grandson gained 3-4 lbs the first month. Not a "big" result, but a slow and steady gain anyway...then after he got his appetite, we took the medicine away and he continued on with his eating. It was like he just needed a good "Jump-start". See if your doc will let you try it, and see how wonderful it is to a child that will not eat!

Good Luck to you! You and your granddaughter are in my prayers!!

Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: Thank you for your help. I am wondering if the answer could be as simple as that. I was hoping for a little more help. Thanks again

DearCustomer

Well, unfortunately...it can be. And actually it is fortunate for your grand daughter also. But I am sure that there are many diseases that could fit those symptoms also, unfortunately again, they will require many possibly painful testings that the doc may or may not want to do. From being in the medical field for so long, what I have seen from many doc's is that they normally will want to start with the simpler, least invasive methods first, and then go on to other more invasive ones, because they can be painful and she is a child. Sorry that it is not what you were "wanting" or "looking" for - I'm sure another specialist can give you something more intense, just remember, if the more important stuff brings back negative test results, you can always suggest the periactin syrup.

Good luck to you and your granddaughter, you are in my prayers.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: thank you so much for your prayers and advice. I just have to figure out how to approach the doctors. They really don't like when you tell them how to take care of a situation. I am not looking into any diseases, please God forbid. Thank you again

After Vickie's first answer, you said: "I was hoping for a little more
help". Is this still the case? If so, could you please be
more specific as to the type of help you still seek?

After Vickie's follow-up answer you said: "They [Doctors] really don't like when you tell them how to take care of a situation".

How about suggesting the appetite stimulent approach to the Doctor -- if that upsets the Doctor, your grandson needs another doc.

If you do try the Periactin Syrup -- and it proves effective -- I trust
that you will return and 'Accept' (pay for) Vickie's answer -- which
you can do, even after your Question closes.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: Definitely..I have every intention of doing that. I just wanted to wait to see if anyone has had any experience with the situation. Tks
Dear Friend,
If you have a Dr who will not take heed when you have an idea on how to fix a problem, you may want to change dr's. Simply tell him/her you were researching the situation and this is what you want to try. ( The stimulant) In addition, try offering her different things every day. That does not mean she will eat them, but eventually she will. Remember...Absolutley no bad snacks...that is to say junk food between meals. Cut a few pieces of banana and leave it or cheese and eventually she will pick it up and try it...it's just their nature. If you are really worried, try some Pediasure if she is underweight. Hope this helps :)