Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

What is this knot in my jaw

Customer Question

Hi. I am sorry I cannot pay for an answer to this question as my question arises from the expenses I have incurred. I had oral surgery on my mouth to remove a very impacted wisdom tooth. I am 29 yo, and I had the surgery May 24. Now, I have suffered a dry socket and the doc flushed it out and gave me some med to put in my dry socket. That has been since May 31st or so. I am still having very bad pain in my jaw, sometimes a shooting pain, and a knot on my jawbone. My face isn't swollen, but it hurts very bad nonetheless. I am trying very hard to cope with this, but I have been in the medical field, and know that taking as much Ibuprofen (800 mg) as I have been taking cannot be good for me. I am almost out of narcotic painkillers (which I dont like to take anyway). Any ideas on what this may be, and do I need to have another visit with my oral surgeon, as I am going out of town this coming Thursday, and don't want to be stranded out of town (out of network for my ins.)? I am sorry that I cannot afford to pay for the answer on this question. Thanks so much in advance for your help. Wendy
Category: Health
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
I assume that you are unable to get an appointment with your oral surgeon before having to leave town?

If this is the case, can you be seen by another oral surgeon in the
same office -- or, failing that, can your oral surgeon refer you to
someone else, so that you can be seen -- and have this problem taken
care of -- before you have to leave town?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: I actually haven't tried yet. I was wondering if it could be something that is definitely going to require medical attention. The oral surgeon tends to think my delay in healing is age related. But, I am really worried b/c it just hurts me all the time, sometimes worse than others, but he is usually good about same or next day appts. So, I guess this means I need to be rechecked huh? LoL Thank you for your answer.