Isabella Lucas
Isabella Lucas, nursing/psych
Experience:  nursing and psychology
165541

knots under arm

Customer Question

I have found 2 small knots located just under my arm am wondering what they might be
Category: Health
Expert:  David Cuff replied 11 years ago.
Please describe further. How large, painful, length of time. Describe location other then under arm, ...like two inches under the arm pit in the middle.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to David Cuff's Post: Dear Sir
the knots feel like they are dime size and they are not right in the armpit but up about an inch or two. I noticed them about a week ago and the pain as well. I work in a warehouse and I have to use my hands and arms alot so I notice the pain when I would move my arms in an upward position. the pain is not severe it is more like an ache.
What it sounds like is a swollen lymph node. Webmd.com describes the lymph system below.

The lymphatic system helps coordinate the immune system's function to protect the body from foreign substances and includes an extensive network of lymph vessels and lymph nodes. Here's how the lymphatic system works:

Excess fluid is collected from the space between tissues in the body and moves through the lymph vessels. The fluid (now called lymph) isn't pumped through the body like blood, but instead is "pushed" through the lymph system as the vessels are compressed by surrounding muscles. (This would explain your nodules and pain)

Filters called lymph nodes remove certain harmful substances from the lymph fluid, such as bacteria and debris. The fluid from most tissues or organs is filtered through one or more lymph nodes before draining into the bloodstream.

If this continues longer then a week go to your local doctor it could be something serious. It could also be a plethora of things that are no big issue. My bet is that it will go away on it’s own within the week.

Expert:  Isabella Lucas replied 11 years ago.

do you have "knots" similar to this in your neck or groin area? have you ever had a swollen lymph node when you have been sick, you know just under your chin?

If you answer yes to the above questions it is urgent that you see a doctor immediately. If your answer is no you should still be seen by a physician. There are several serious reasons for having swollen "knots" and then again the reasons can also be non-serious. the only way to know is to be seen.

If you want an answer on what I've seen... here is one... lymphoma. I'm not saying you have this but with Lymphoma "knots" are sometimes swollen lymph nodes that are cancerous. Then again lymph nodes can be swollen because they are fighting off infection... do not alarm yourself or even try to guess if you have nodes that are merely swollen because of infection and doing their "thing" or the worst which is Lymphoma. Let a doctor be the expert... and go and see one as soon as possible. REALLY. It is probably nothing to worry about but if it is Lymphoma every day without treatment makes things much much worse.