Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

Vasectomy regrets!

My husband had a vasectomy Monday today is Thursday and I really regret him doing it now. I didn't think I wanted any more kids but after doing the vasectomy I've had serious thoughts of another baby. I will be fertile in about 2 weeks. I might have him convinced to try and concieve in that time. What are our chances? Will their be enough live sperm to get pregnant? We had no problems getting pregnant with our 2 other kids.

DearCustomer

Did you happen dear, to discuss this with your husband before hand? Well, for at least the first 6 weeks after the procedure, his doctor should have advised him to use another form of birth control, because there is still a chance for pregnancy. So you know you might at least have that time, but as I will explain later on, with every ejaculation, the sperm production will go down. After that time, his sperm is checked to ensure that no sperm are present. The vast majority of men who have a vasectomy are happy with the results. But 2 of every 100 end up regretting the decision, and not due to the vasectomy itself. Those 2 just weren't ready to accept permanent birth control. Usually they're men who have entered a new relationship and have changed their mind about having another baby. Although vasectomy can sometimes be reversed, it should be considered permanent. The overall failure rate for vasectomy is 0.15%, but that is not an accurate picture of its real effectiveness. Most vasectomy failures happen during the first couple of months after the procedure, when live sperm may still be present in a man's semen. That is why couples must continue using birth control until the man has ejaculated about 20 times (clearing the sperm) over as long as 6 months, and at least 2 tests show no live sperm remaining. About 1 in every 4000 vasectomies fail because the vas deferentia manage to reconnect - a failure rate of 0.025%. So I would say that yes you still have somewhat of a chance for a short time anyway....or until he has 20 ejaculations....so make them count is all I can say! and remember, each one will have less and less!

Good luck to you!

Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: Have you ever head of a person simply having post-vasectomy depression? Like maybe I just don't like the idea of not having the option anymore. Maybe it's not so much wanting another child but just not liking the fact that I can't change my mind later? I hoping it's a phase I'm going through and it will explain it's self before the wrong decison is made.

DearCustomer

I completely know what you are talking about! Some years ago I had my tubes tied, because as you have probably seen in my profile...I have 9 children with 5 left at home. I went through a terrible time because I had them tied. Every one thought I was crazy, but no one understood...that its not the fact necessarily that I "Wanted" another baby, but it took away my "Option". So, needless to say, I went through the thing of hunting down the best and cheapest surgeons experienced in tubal reconnection, and my husband heard the "I want another baby" thing every time I saw one. Then a year ago, I had to have a hysterectomy, and went through the whole thing all over again. I believe that this is a "real" thing, and that people should "REALLY" make positive before doing this to their body's. I have told my daughter a hundred times, when she talks about a "tubal"...Not to do it....that she'll regret it later. You just never know what life is going to bring you, and at least you will always have your "options". There are too many options in birth control today for something so perminent.....but that is the opinion of someone that absolutely loved being pregnant, and raising babies. I now have 4 children that have left home for their own careers, and I still have that "sad" feeling occasionally. I know that I will never feel what it is like to be pregnant and create life again, and I will never hold my own baby in my arms again. I felt like when they did my hysterectomy, that they just took a part of me that gave life to all my babies, and meant so much to me - and threw it in the trash as if it were nothing. I know exactly how you feel, and you may feel that way forever off and on. Then you will get spurts of reality to where you are glad at the moment that you only have the babies that you have. Don't expect it to ever go away completely as mine never did...I think it just all depends on the person. AND...thank you so much for your accept. It is greatly appreciated.

Good Luck to you, you are in my prayers!

Vickie, Nurse (RN)
DearCustomer
I went thru a sterlization reversal. It was the most painful surgey I have ever gone through. Maybe you are just having thoughts of "what might have been." Vickie has given you some great advice. If you are truely having second thoughts, maybe you and your hubby can discuss having some semen frozen for in-vitro use, since his sperm count will be lower....just a thought :)
I hope you guys work this out (((Hugs)))