Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Voc Rehab Counselor, M. Ed.
Experience:  Disability/Rehab Consultant. Broad knowledge of many chronic and acute health problems.
14607

Can a Virgin use Tampons and still keep her Virginity

Customer Question

My nice is 16 and says that she is still a Virgin(I like to beleave her in this). But her sister has talked her into using Tampons instead of pads(I thought that only non-Virgins can use Tampons). She seems to be able to use them with ease(She had know pain when putting it in). But I thought that if you are a Virgin then you can not put them in. I might be wrong. I would like to know if I am right or wrong in this. I am not out to pry into her choises, but I feel that her sister should not have done that. My nice says that she wants to save herself for ther right man when she gets older. I hope that this has not taken her that from her. She is realy a good kid and has been trying to do right.
Category: Health
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Please give your definition of virginity.
For you, is it the state of never having had sexual intercourse, or
the state of having an intact hymen?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: state of having an intact hymen
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
This is actually a tricky question in a couple of ways.

Taking your definition of virginity, then there are probably no
virgins past puberty as all hymens must have at least one
opening to allow menstrual blood to flow. Once this is accepted,
then whether a girl is a virgin or not would have to become
subjective, based on the degree to which the hymen is broken.

Then comes the issue of tampon usage. Even if a completely
intact hymen did exist, it would be impossible to insert a
tampon without tearing it to some degree, thus tampon usage
would ensure that a girl was not a virgin, again, by your
definition.

It seems that tampon usage may only mildly enlarge the opening
in the hymen, but there also seems to be much variability in size
shape, and position of the opening. That means it is hard to
predict by how much tampon usage would enlage the
opening in any particular case. That your niece did not
experience any discomfort may indicate that any enlargement
was minimal.

The next issue is that if she has already used a tampon, it is too
late to do anything about it, and whatever enlargement that
might have been going to occur already has.

Finally, with the greatest respect to your views, I think that most
people would take the view that the key aspect of virginity is
never having had intercourse, and a relatively intact hymen is
only a possible indication of this. By this view, your niece is
indeed a virgin.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
I've made a couple of changes to my answer, so you may want to
re-read it to ensure you've seen the most up-to-date version.

If I can clarify any points in any way, just get back to me.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks that helps. I feel better. Just a note. I feel that Pads should be used. Atleast until the Virginity is lost. But I am from the old school. Again thank you for your speedy responce.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
You are welcome. Pads would prevent any further enlargement
of the opening, but how important this is depends on context
and people's expectations.
I wish you and your niece the best.
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear bigdaddy,

I noticed that you thanked xarqi for his help and mentioned that you feel better...by hitting the accept button this will reward him for all his time and effort regarding your question, and I am sure will be truly appreciated by him.

Thanks in advance...

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I have done so already. But thanks.
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
"I have done so already. But thanks.

"

Actually, I don't think you have AcceptedXargi's answer -- although that may have been your intention.

What you have done is made a refundable $5 deposit. This deposit
allows you to see answers which are posted to your question -- although
making a deposit does not obligate a customer to pay for an answer.

In order to Accept (pay for) Xargi's helpful answer -- you have to click the green 'Accept' Button in the upper right hand corner of the answer.

By the way, once you Accept an answer -- you will not be required
to make a deposit in order to view answers submitted to any future
questions which you post.

Thanks in advance.

Steve