Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

pregnancy

Customer Question

i started my period 3 days early and it only lasted for 2 days. then it came back a day and a half later but very light. the whole time though it was brown and then light pink towards the end. could i be pregnant?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear ljensen,

If you had intercourse during the time that you would have ovulated then by all means you could be pregnant. You should try a "urine" pregnancy test using first morning urine, as this is when the pregnancy hormone (HCG), will be the highest in concentration. If this comes up negative, then you might wait a week or so and try again. If you are wanting to know earlier, then you can see your doc for a serum pregnancy test that is more accurate earlier. If you are pregnant, you might be showing some of the early signs ie; morning sickness (that can be at any time of the day), tender swollen breasts, heightened sense of smell, frequent urination, fatigue..... at least some of these symptoms either will already be in place or you will be noticing some of them soon. Just remember though, there are many things that can cause a woman to skip her period.......stress, fairly rapid weight gain or loss, illness, medications...etc. If your pregnancy tests shows negative, the best thing would be to see your OBGYN soon, to rule out anything negative.

Good Luck to you

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: well i didn't completely skip my period i just had it for only 2 days then it came back light like i said but i had heard that you could have a period and still be pregnant. i know people who that has happened to. but i have been having some "morning sickness" or sick to my stomach. it's like everything i eat doesn't sit well with me but i don't throw up i just feel sick. i have taken a pregnancy test but they are negative. so i don't know what to do. thank you for your replys.
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear ljensen,

Yes, you can most definitely have a light period while pregnant. They are usually lighter than normal, and do not last as long. I know many women who have had their periods for the first 3 months of pregnancy, and have had some that continued to bleed lightly every month for the entire pregnancy. This is usually due to a lowered hormone level. Sometimes it can take a few months for your HCG level to come up enough to show on your pregnancy test, and to stop your spotting or light period. I would suggest seeing your doc for the serum pregnancy test as above. As I indicated, these are more accurate earlier on. See your doctor, so he can either confirm your pregnancy, or find out what else might be going on at the moment. You have done everything you can do at home, with the exception of waiting another week, and trying another pregnancy test (with first morning urine).

Good luck to you.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: i have another question. is gas and a sore throat have anything to do with pregnancy?
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Well dear,

Yes and no. Having gas is occasionally associated with pregnancy, but sore throat...usually not. It is possible to have a sore throat "while" you are pregnant, but...it is normally not a "sign" of pregnancy. Sorry dear. I still say you should try a pregnancy test...unless you already have and it has turned up negative.

Good luck to you.