ElenaMarie
ElenaMarie, Personal/Home Care Aide
Experience:  Caregiver to disabled husband,raised two children with chronic diseases,study medical information
15822

vocal cords..back..it sounds good ..but I can feel pressure in my neck

Customer Question

I have had swollen vocal cords for over 2 months...I am a singer but I had not been singing at the time of the swelling..I have seen my ENT twice and he just gives me drugs....how do i get my voice back to 100 percent? He can't tell me how this happened....one day i woke up and my voice was raspy..then it took along time to get slightly better...and now it sounds good ..but I can feel pressure in my neck.....so I took it upon muself to Stop talking for 4 days that seemed to help ..but I may have gotten cocky and felt good enought to talk like normal and i'm back to feeling the pressure....please help me this is very hard to deal with
Category: Health
Expert:  ElenaMarie replied 11 years ago.

Do you have any allergies? Like hay fever, or allergies to plants, etc? My voice is the same way at times, and I have a really rare allergy called angioedema. Sometimes, that causes my throat to swell up inside, and it feels like a lot of pressure, and I cannot talk right or sing. I love to sing, but when this happens, it really makes a difference.

Also, have you had your thyroid checked out too, for any possible swelling? Also, any blood work done to make sure everything is okay?

My guess would be though, that you may have allergies to something, and you might want to sit down and make a list of everything that you may have changed or been around, such as perfumes, or wash detergents or softeneners, or soaps, or animals, etc. Even what you might have changed in your eating habits, could make a difference.

Also, do you smoke? That could cause problems. Or if you have been around someone or people who smoke.

God bless and good luck!

ElenaMarie, Personal/Home Care Aide
Experience: Caregiver to disabled husband,raised two children with chronic diseases,study medical information
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ElenaMarie's Post: thank you for your help.....funny i was just thinking about getting some blood work done...i'm just so healthy i never ever have any problems like ever....however this year has been wierd i have already gotten sick three times..and that is rare....i smoke very rarely like one cigarette a week..but i do realize that still is smoking...i have not since this whole thing started...thyriod interesting....how can that effect your voice? I do sing professionally and this is really messing up my life...just to clarify....my throat doesnt swell... my vocal cords do i can feel them one on each side of my neck..when speaking i havent even tried singing in 2months..yes i have allergies....but i have never had this kind of reaction...and it stays with me..so i know that its nothing in the house....i'll think about that one....also i took a drive to Tuscon right before this happened i drove for 8 hrs talking non stop with the A/C on then i had one cigarette at nite and then the next day drove back again with the a/c/ on for 8rs....the next day was when the raspyness happened..so I sort of concluded that i fried my cords somehow...like i said i have never had vocal problems so i had no clue....but just more info to help narrow it down..thaks alot

You are welcome, and I truly hope and pray that you find an answer to the loss of your voice. Make sure to ask your doctor about the A/C in the car, and if that could have given off any kind of fungus spores or bacteria, like the way people sometimes get Legionnaire's disease. My brother is a county food and restaurant inspector in Maryland, and he said people do not realize how easily some of the fungus and mold spores can affect their health. He has had to sometimes close down places, if they have something "growing" in their air conditioner units or sprinkler systems. Yuck..... watch for black mold that can cause a lot of problems in people or animals.

God bless and thanks for accepting my suggestions. Hope you will be okay soon!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ElenaMarie's Post: thank you Elena for all of your help.......I know in my heart I will get through this...thanks