Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Voc Rehab Counselor, M. Ed.
Experience:  Disability/Rehab Consultant. Broad knowledge of many chronic and acute health problems.
14607

copd

Customer Question

what is thedifference in asthma, chronic
bronkitis,
enphesema ? are they all called copd? How are
they
related? Is enphesma the one that kills you? Does
it always get progressively worse? Please tell me
what you can about thi
Category: Health
Expert:  Karel1 replied 11 years ago.

The difference in them are mainly different breath sounds for example in emphysema you might only hear breath sounds on one side of lung,in asthma one hears wheezing,.They are called copd which stands for chronic obstuctive pulmonary disease because it blocks or obstructs normal breathing.They are all incurable but controllable with meds.As far as killing you

All of these are diseases, and any disease that of course blocks breasthing can shorten ones life.Of course that is only if the illness cant be controlled.As a respiratory therapist,I have patients that have all of these diseases and live way past 90.The key is to get the disease under control,which is hard to do,and mainly things like taking your meds or stop smoking is something we as human beings find hard to do.I can tell you that the illnesses can range from so mild to severe.Dying from the diseases like anything else no one knows when out time is up but our maker.What happ0ens is when the disease is so bad its usually because the person gets heart disease from the lung having such lack of strength to help breathing,or pneumonia sets in.However the disease can be very well controlled in many depending on the persons age,or other illnesses.If you do have any of these illnesses my answer to you is not to worry about death ,as the stress of the worry can kill youJust concentrate on listening to your physician,try different drugs if one does not work.

Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
COPD or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is a group of disorders which includes asthma, chronic bronchitis and emphysema -- the above link has information all of these.

All are treatable -- but all are life threatening if untreated.

Experience: Disability/Rehab Consultant. Broad knowledge of many chronic and acute health problems.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Karel1's Post: to Karel: Thank you for such a sweet and
informative answer and already I feel much more
supported more than I get from my own respiritory
doctor. Thank you aga