Delores Casso
Delores Casso, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience:  Paramedic, Family Practice, OB, GYN, Internal Med. ER
83372

osteomyelitis 4 yrs ago from a total knee replacement

Customer Question

I had osteomyelitis 4 yrs ago from a total knee replacement. The replacement was removed, I was treated and a new one put in. This one was also infected, and again had to be removed, with I.V treatment again but with a differant doctor. The third replacement went great and after several months, I was finally able to walk without pain or assistive device. That was about little over 2 yrs ago, and up until now, I have enjoyed a full life of walking anywhere, up hill, down ect. Now for the past 2 months or so, I am again limping because of the pain. The pain get worse the longer I am up and about. The knee get stiff and feels like something "grabbing". In other words, just like it felt 3 yrs ago with the infection. I never ran a fever, or had any pus until they went in it. I had a sed and crp done. crp was only 0.13. sed was normal. Does this indicate infection could have come back. It does get warm to the touch, and I "just" feel tired and not my usual self. I did have some dental work about 3 months ago and forgot to take a premed, but thought after 2 yrs, I didn't have to anymore. Could you just give me some info on this. Is this something I will always have to worry about. Thank you for any info you can give. my e-mail [email protected] [email protected] I am 53
Category: Health
Expert:  Delores Casso replied 11 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,
First of all, Wow! you have really had a go of it. Osteomyelitis is a terrible infection to fight...I am so sorry you had to bear this. The dental work "could" have induced some type of infection. I would instist on an MRI or a bone scan. Just because you are so fatigued and it feels warm to the touch is a big red flag for osteo. You are in my most positive thoughts and prayers!
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Bless your heart, It sounds to me like you have been through the wringer. Along with what the specialist above mentioned...did they happen to run a white blood count? This is a definite sign of infection. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you where...just that its there. If it is red and warm to the touch along with being sore or hurting, then that is part of how they go about making their decision about where the infection might be.

Good luck to you

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
yes, blood test were done and were within normal values, but they also were when I had osteo. Even the fluid they drained off my knee never showed anything. They said I didn't have the "tipical" symptoms of osteo. It was discovered thru a white cell scan, and pus was found inside when they went in. Does it ever recur, once they say it is gone? Thank you for your help. I guess I am just not wanting to find out because I'm not sure that I will let anyone touch it again. And I except your answer and will wait for this last answer. Again thank you
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Yes it would be possible for it to come back again if they did not get rid of every single bit of the infection the first time. It sounds to me like you might just be a lady that is prone to this type of infection, and because you have had it so many times before - it sounds to me like they are going to have to go with another approach to completely get rid of it. It may be also that what they have given you in the past for the infection, you just have acquired a tolerance to. Sometimes with antibiotics this happens frequently. I hope everything goes better for you this time, and you are in my prayers.

Dear XXXXX,
Many times, osteo can be seen via a bone scan. This is done in the Nuclear Medicine Dept. of your X-Ray Dept. of your hospital. The radioactive particles attach to the osteo and show up "hot" on the scan. Perhaps this is an option rather than immediately going under. Blood cultures might also be an option to see if you are resistant to the antibiotic that you were treated with and to see if the infection has gone into the bloos steam. Hope this helps. My step daughter had osteo and it was missed. I know how un-godly painful this disease is. You are in my prayers and most positive thoughts.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Again, thank you. will make an appointment with the last doctor, and see what he has to say. Just don't know that I will will have anything else done. Was unable to walk unassisted for 3 yrs. Don't think I can handle that again. Will keep you informed. Keep me in your prayers, and pray I can keep my leg. Kinda grown to like it after 53 yrs. Joyce Hamilton
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Again, thank you for your help. Will ask for those test before I decide anything. You have been very helpful. Will keep you informed on what happens. Joyce