Tammy
Tammy, Moderator
Experience:  Support Staff
108685

lump on sternum

Customer Question

the day after i delivered my daughter i began to notice a big knot that came up on the bottom of my sternum. basically just sore to the touch not really any other pain.. i was wondering if this sounds like an injury that may have occurred during pregnancy or something else...she is almost 3 months now and the knot is still there..not quiet as big as right after delivery..bout the size of a golf ball..still sore to the touch
Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryle replied 11 years ago.

Dear XXXXXn:

You did not mention if the delivery was natural or c-section, but I want you to know that there are many types of unexplained lumps, and many of which are harmless. The most important thing is to have yours evaluated to rule out all possible explanations.

This could be anything form an enlarged lymph node, a hernia, or even to more serious possible health conditions. In this case, being that it is still there after 3 months, I do highly suggest you get a medical opinion for proper diagnosis of this lump.

I hope this information helps you, and I wish you the best. If you need anything additional, feel free to write again, and someone will promptly assist your questions.

Take care, and God bless.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Cheryle's Post: ok sorry i just reread my question..i had a vaginal delivery...and i meant to ask could this have been an injury that happend during delivery..i had to push a pretty good bit..my ob doctor said he had never seen anything like it...so basically he had no idea what the hell it was...so i have an app with my gp next month..just curious though..
Expert:  Cheryle replied 11 years ago.

Hi again..

Thank you for responding to my inquiry.

Yes, it could surely have been caused by the strain of pushing during the delivery; which is why I mentioned a possible hernia. Your best bet is to have the medical check up to be sure. It really could be a number of things, possibly even a dislocated rib. Without a proper procedure for investigating the lump, it's really hard to "guess".

However, in this situation you wouldn't want to take any chances, your health is very important, and anything out of the norm should be signal for concern to evaluate all possible causes.

Take care, and please keep us posted on the findings. If there is anything else that we can assist you with, feel free to write again.

~God bless and congratualtions on the new baby!!!~

Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear XXXXXn,

I am almost wondering if during all of the hard pushing that you did to get your baby here, if it might be possible, that you broke  your zyphoid process. I can't find anything where this has happened before and been documented, but the area you describe is just where the zyphoid lies and can be broken fairly easily...its just that usually it is broken "Inward". But if you think about the hard uterus during contraction, and the fact that you are "bearing down", it seems as though it could be a possibility...as the zyphoid lies just at the very end of the sternum and I think if you got very big with your pregnancy...and they had you curled up pushing...I just think that it is a possibility this is what could have happened. Ask your OBGYN what he thinks on your next appointment.

Good Luck to you.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Cheryle's Post: hey...i tried to accept your response but it didnt let me...it kept taking me to a blank page..you know like the one saying website not found...reload...i dont know if i waited to long...i am sorry.. but this is my first time using this site...maybe i will figure it out soon..i go to the doctor tomorrow and if u let me know how to contact u i will let you know what he says so that u may use it for future reference..thanks again cheryl...
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: sorry that i did not accept your answer...i tried to accept the first one i got but it wouldnt let me...i was doing it that way cause that was the way it said would be fair..thank you for writing me back..i go to the doctor tomorrow and if you let me know how to contact you i will let you know what he said for future reference...thank you very much for you time...
Expert:  Tammy replied 11 years ago.

There was a site-wide problem with accepting answers earlier in the day. The problem has now been fixed. You can accept an answer with no problems at this time.

Let me know if you have questions about this.