AnnlynnRN
AnnlynnRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN - 16 years in ICU & Critical Care (Cardiac, Neurology, Trauma, & Medical/Surgical ICU.)
64436

How do you decrease a mans sexual drive

Customer Question

When a man wants do decrease his sexual drive, what can he do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Mark Horton replied 11 years ago.
Well there are a certain number of ways to do just this. Alcohol can decrease a sex drive, for one. I don't mean one has to drink enough to get drunk, but perhaps a few glasses of any favorite liquor would help. The common belief is a vasectomy will do it, but that is not the case at all. It does nothing for sex drive at all. Short of seeking a prescription of some sort, there is not a lot one can do. Frankly there hasn't been an inordinate amount of study since most men don't want to decrease their drive, rather increase it. Try alcohol first.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Mark Horton's Post: Like what kind of prescription?
Just like you can take drugs that boost testosterone, there are drugs you can take which will inhibit production of it as well. Testosterone is the male sex hormone. The names of these drugs escape me, but they do exist.
Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

First of all, I wouldn't recommend having any man (or woman for that
matter) resort to using alcohol as ANY kind of "crutch" in attempt to
solve a problem.

Though testosterone is the sex hormone for men, it is not the only
factor that affects sex drive or behaviors. There are many things
that can trigger sexual impulses in both men and women alike...such as
visual images, a smell of something (a perfume perhaps) that triggers
memories of a passionate experience, and many other stimuli (pardon the
pun) that can cause this increased sex drive.

Sex drive usually decreases with age and often with medications such as
antidepressants and blood pressure medications. I wouldn't
suggest trying to use these medications for the sole purpose of trying
to decrease a man's libido, however a doctor can order a panel of blood
work to determine if his blood levels are having an effect on sex
drive. Typically, most men produce an average of 6 -8 mg of
Testosterone per day. His cause of the high sex drive may not
even be of a physical nature, but of a psychological nature.

I suggest if this is truly a problem, he should make an appointment
with the doctor for some lab work to make sure his levels are
normal. If all is well, perhaps some therapy to work on
techniques to lower his sexual impulses with meditation and relaxation.

But again, let me stress that he absolutely not try to use these
prescription drugs without his doctor's consent. And also, he
will be creating a whole other problem by trying to solve this with
alcohol. Best wishes..................AnnlynnRN