Delores Casso
Delores Casso, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience:  Paramedic, Family Practice, OB, GYN, Internal Med. ER
83372

health

Customer Question

I have a lump under my breast on my rib cage that sticks out and is noticable what might this be
Category: Health
Expert:  Sue Routin replied 11 years ago.
 HI, My name is XXXXX XXXXX hope I can help you.  A lump under your breast   but it is on the rib cage?   You need a chest xray to determine  what could be there.  Make appt with your doctor and let him check this out.  Iif i answered it would only be a guess and you really need to have this looked into.  Good luck.  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sue Routin's Post: I have already had an x-ray and they said it is ok so I cannot accept your answer sorry
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.

What if any other diagnostic procedures or tests have you had in
relation to this symptom.  The more information you provide when
first posting a question -- the more helpful (and quick) our answers
tend to be.

Also, you say that when the doctors looked at your chest x-ray they
said 'it is okay'.  Does this mean that the doctors still have
absolutely no idea what the lump is?  Or does it mean that they do
think they know what it is (if so, what?) -- but it is not harmful and
does not require treatment?

Have you gone to another doctor -- with the x-ray -- for a second opinion?  If so, what did that doctor say?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: so far one doctor told that I probably sprained a muscle there and another one told me that happens cause I smoke they said there was nothing wrong in the x-ray yet it hurts to the touch and it has gotten bigger I asked the doctor two days ago if he could do a ultra sound and he said it wouldnt show up anything he's the one that said I probably have a pulled muscle
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

I think that I would be tempted to get another opinion. There is a possibility that it could be nothing but a fatty tumor, but the fact is, it is worrying you, and you as a patient are not satisfied. Usually you will be the first to know when something is not right with you. One of the first things a medical person is taught is to listen to their patient. If the lump is sore and is not going away, then it is time that you find someone that is willing to listen to your concerns. You know your body better than anyone, and it all boils down to the fact that it is still there, it is bothering you, and to date...nothing has been done to identify it. In my opinion I would find someone else that will listen to your concerns, and take care of it once and for all.

Good luck to you!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: I would like to know more possibilities of what this could be.

We understand your desire to get as much information as
possible.

Yet, while it is realistic to get advice and possible options on a forum like
this -- Please realize that expecting to end up with an accurate and/or complete diagnosis from a forum is
just not realistic.

There are probably dozens of possible causes for your lump -- ranging from
common to rare..  However, no matter how long or exhaustive a list we
provide you -- you will still be no closer than you are right now to an exact
diagnosis.

It is both scary and frustrating when Doctors can't make a definitive diagnosis
-- trust me -- it frustrates them as well.

This is not what you want to hear -- but, when the doctors are stumped -- the
only logical next step is to see another Doc.

Think about it -- two or more doctors haven't managed to pin down the cause --
even with the advantage of being able to actually examine you, and do an x-ray and
perhaps other tests.  This being the reality, you won't -- with anything approaching absolute
certainty -- find the cause on this forum.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: You need a second opinion.  Why not see a general
surgeon and ask about having the lump removed because it is uncomfortable and worrisome. 
Ask that the lump be biopsied  (either before or after removal) the
results will (either way) add to your peace-of-mind.

Of course, if you still choose to wait it out (and I don't recommend that you do
so) -- if the lump continues to grow -- or the discomfort related to it worsens
-- the only reasonable action is to go to a Doctor.

Let me know if you need more input.  If not, thanks for the opportunity to
assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my efforts by 'pushing
the button' and Accepting this answer.

Good Luck!

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: I dont need any other opinions on this matter what happens happens all doctors do is tell you whatever to get money
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
plain and simple I dont like doctors about a month ago I went to one and they took blood work and mailed the blood to me the next day now it sits in my fridge waiting to sue someone
Expert:  Delores Casso replied 11 years ago.
DearCustomer

I'm sorry you have not gotten a satisfactory answer from your DR. Like someone else said, get a second opinion. I don't think anyone really likes going to the DR, but if this is bugging you this much and if it's painful, I agree with you, you at least need an ultrasound. Try your GYN or ask for a referal. Good luck.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Delores Casso's Post: Thanks for the reply but I think I'll have to take my chances that it isn't anything