How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delores Casso Your Own Question
Delores Casso
Delores Casso, Paramedic (EMT)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 29
Experience:  Paramedic, Family Practice, OB, GYN, Internal Med. ER
Type Your Health Question Here...
Delores Casso is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

I have a lump under my breast on my rib cage that sticks out and is noticable what might this be
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Sue Routin replied 11 years ago.
 HI, My name is XXXXX XXXXX hope I can help you.  A lump under your breast   but it is on the rib cage?   You need a chest xray to determine  what could be there.  Make appt with your doctor and let him check this out.  Iif i answered it would only be a guess and you really need to have this looked into.  Good luck.  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sue Routin's Post: I have already had an x-ray and they said it is ok so I cannot accept your answer sorry
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.

What if any other diagnostic procedures or tests have you had in
relation to this symptom.  The more information you provide when
first posting a question -- the more helpful (and quick) our answers
tend to be.

Also, you say that when the doctors looked at your chest x-ray they
said 'it is okay'.  Does this mean that the doctors still have
absolutely no idea what the lump is?  Or does it mean that they do
think they know what it is (if so, what?) -- but it is not harmful and
does not require treatment?

Have you gone to another doctor -- with the x-ray -- for a second opinion?  If so, what did that doctor say?

Thanks in advance.


Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: so far one doctor told that I probably sprained a muscle there and another one told me that happens cause I smoke they said there was nothing wrong in the x-ray yet it hurts to the touch and it has gotten bigger I asked the doctor two days ago if he could do a ultra sound and he said it wouldnt show up anything he's the one that said I probably have a pulled muscle
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.


I think that I would be tempted to get another opinion. There is a possibility that it could be nothing but a fatty tumor, but the fact is, it is worrying you, and you as a patient are not satisfied. Usually you will be the first to know when something is not right with you. One of the first things a medical person is taught is to listen to their patient. If the lump is sore and is not going away, then it is time that you find someone that is willing to listen to your concerns. You know your body better than anyone, and it all boils down to the fact that it is still there, it is bothering you, and to date...nothing has been done to identify it. In my opinion I would find someone else that will listen to your concerns, and take care of it once and for all.

Good luck to you!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: I would like to know more possibilities of what this could be.
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.

We understand your desire to get as much information as

Yet, while it is realistic to get advice and possible options on a forum like
this -- Please realize that expecting to end up with an accurate and/or complete diagnosis from a forum is
just not realistic.

There are probably dozens of possible causes for your lump -- ranging from
common to rare..  However, no matter how long or exhaustive a list we
provide you -- you will still be no closer than you are right now to an exact

It is both scary and frustrating when Doctors can't make a definitive diagnosis
-- trust me -- it frustrates them as well.

This is not what you want to hear -- but, when the doctors are stumped -- the
only logical next step is to see another Doc.

Think about it -- two or more doctors haven't managed to pin down the cause --
even with the advantage of being able to actually examine you, and do an x-ray and
perhaps other tests.  This being the reality, you won't -- with anything approaching absolute
certainty -- find the cause on this forum.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: You need a second opinion.  Why not see a general
surgeon and ask about having the lump removed because it is uncomfortable and worrisome. 
Ask that the lump be biopsied  (either before or after removal) the
results will (either way) add to your peace-of-mind.

Of course, if you still choose to wait it out (and I don't recommend that you do
so) -- if the lump continues to grow -- or the discomfort related to it worsens
-- the only reasonable action is to go to a Doctor.

Let me know if you need more input.  If not, thanks for the opportunity to
assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my efforts by 'pushing
the button' and Accepting this answer.

Good Luck!



Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: I dont need any other opinions on this matter what happens happens all doctors do is tell you whatever to get money
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
plain and simple I dont like doctors about a month ago I went to one and they took blood work and mailed the blood to me the next day now it sits in my fridge waiting to sue someone
Expert:  Delores Casso replied 11 years ago.

I'm sorry you have not gotten a satisfactory answer from your DR. Like someone else said, get a second opinion. I don't think anyone really likes going to the DR, but if this is bugging you this much and if it's painful, I agree with you, you at least need an ultrasound. Try your GYN or ask for a referal. Good luck.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Delores Casso's Post: Thanks for the reply but I think I'll have to take my chances that it isn't anything

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
< Previous | Next >
  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
  • I thank-you so much! It really helped to have this information and confirmation. We will watch her carefully and get her in for the examination and US right away if things do not improve. God bless you as well! Claudia Albuquerque, NM
  • Outstanding response time less than 6 minutes. Answered the question professionally and with a great deal of compassion. Kevin Beaverton, OR
  • Suggested diagnosis was what I hoped and will take this info to my doctor's appointment next week.
    I feel better already! Thank you.
    Elanor Tracy, CA
  • Thank you to the Physician who answered my question today. The answer was far more informative than what I got from the Physicians I saw in person for my problem. Julie Lockesburg, AR
  • You have been more help than you know. I seriously don't know what my sisters situation would be today if you had not gone above and beyond just answering my questions. John and Stefanie Tucson, AZ
  • I have been dealing with an extremely serious health crisis for over three years, and one your physicians asked me more questions, gave me more answers and encouragement than a dozen different doctors who have been treating me!! Janet V Phoenix, AZ

Meet The Experts:

  • Family Physician

    Family Physician

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
< Last | Next >
  • Family Physician's Avatar

    Family Physician

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
  • Nurse Milli, RN's Avatar

    Nurse Milli, RN

    Nurse (RN)

    Satisfied Customers:

    20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
  • Dr. Ketch's Avatar

    Dr. Ketch


    Satisfied Customers:

    Medical Degree, Former Assistant Professor at School of Medicine at Yale University
  • Dr. Arun Phophalia's Avatar

    Dr. Arun Phophalia

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
  • A. Schuyler, NP's Avatar

    A. Schuyler, NP

    Nurse Practitioner

    Satisfied Customers:

    Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
  • Dr. Mark's Avatar

    Dr. Mark

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
  • Dr. Gupta's Avatar

    Dr. Gupta

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

Related Health Questions