Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Pytergium

Customer Question

I have a
Pytergium and it is growing very fast. i am told it is supposed to grow slowly. Is there anything I can do to slow down the growth. Is it possible it is something else?
Since I have been diagnosed with it a month ago it has doubled in size. I have used genteal eye drops during the day and I wear sunglasses as much as possible and I use an ointment at night.
Category: Health
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It sounds like you are doing all that you can to slow the growth.  It's normally not this agressive.  I suggest that you return to your opthamologist to discuss your options.  Keep in mind that these are often removed surgically when they become bothersome.

Be sure to wear the sunglasses all the time if you are in sunlight.  Be sure to give to the eye plenty of moisture.

Let me know if you still have questions about this.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for your anwser, if anyone else has info for me I would greatly appreciate it.

thank you
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
Here is some additional information for you.

This eye clinic
website says that a Pytergium can, with growth, cover the central
cornea.  This not only affect vision but can change the shape of
the cornea -- which obviously would lead to long-term problems.

They recommend surgery, if and when, the Pytergium invades the central cornea.

In addition to sunlight protection and eyedrops -- this clinic also recommends protecting your eye from wind and dust.

Let me know if you need more input.  If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my
efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer.

Good Luck!

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post:
Thank you I saw that same website..I am looking to talk to people who specialize in this diroder. thank you for your help
While I can appreciate your wanting to get information from a
specialist in this disorder-- I doubt that you will find someone with
qualifications in that narrow a specialty on our site.

Obviously, you want as much information as possible regarding future
prognosis and options.  The best way to get this information is by
having another doctor examine you.

Webb M.D. lists 76 ophthalmologists who practice in the Bellevue Washington area
I'm sure that your current ophthalmologist will be more than happy to
recommend someone -- and provide a copy of your records to them.

As an alternative you can call a few of them and ask them to recommend someone who specializes in Pytergium.

Good Luck!

Steve