Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

PLEASE HELP US..no where to turn...

Customer Question

my daughter 29 yrs..loosing her hair..in large clumps....weight gain...no energy...alot of saddness in our family the past 2 years...please help...we have no insurance...she is going bald...says her head hurts..now "lumps" are apearing on her head..PLEASEEE help us....
I WILL NOT loose another child...Please hear this mother's prayer...she also has a "fungus" type thing around all of her finger cuticles....I don't know what to do...we don't have much money...please help...
Category: Health
Expert:  Karel1 replied 11 years ago.

It could be a million thing.Alopecia is a condition when one loses hair.If you dont have a doctor,at least take her to the nearest emergency room.They cant refuse youIf they bill you later just pay back a little at a time.Whats important is her help.

Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

You mention in your post that "you won't loose another child"...If you don't mind me asking, what does that mean? It sounds to me as if your daughter is experiencing a bout of depression. Has she had some things going on in her life lately? Depression can have many different effects on a person, along with hair loss. She can also have fluctuations in her weight, begin having "panic attacks", either an increase or decrease in eating habits,  personality changes, bouts of crying, or being extremely happy one minute then sad the next, experience head aches, stomach aches with nausea and or vomiting, constant worrying etc. If this is a possibility, she should be seen by a doctor. There are medications out there now that have given people their lives back literally. You don't mention where you are from, but most places have free clinics, and when all else fails you can go to the hospital er, and they can not refuse you. They even have social workers that can help her find a doc that will give her continuing care until this is over with, along with running physical tests to see if there is anything going on medically. Sometimes hurt or pain in our lives can do terrible things to our minds, as we try to deal with them the only way our body knows how, and sometimes during the body's struggle with trying to work things out, it will cause weird symptoms that we are not used to...even a complete attitude or personality change, to where sometimes other family members do not even recognize this person, and where they are coming from anymore (personality wise), and Like I said above, they will have physical symptoms that begin to show also. Your daughter definitely needs attention, and the best thing that you as a mother, can do for her is to get her to a doctor and see what is going on. Sometimes there is no "quick fix" for these types of problems, and it just takes time, but she needs to get started with some care...and get her life back. As for the fungus on her fingers, has she been wearing fake fingernails? If so, these, whether salon or the "do it your self" kind, can cause a fungus that can discolor your nails and eventually become very uncomfortable. Usually the salon or a local pharmacy or drug store will sell an anti fungal cream, lotion, or liquid that will clear that up. I believe that at the moment though, this could be the least of her worries, and will be an easy fix. I really feel concern for your daughter and hope that you will at least take her out to the er, explain her situation, and let them get someone to help her. She may not be able at this time, to do this on her own and may need your help now more than ever.

Good luck to you both, You are in my prayers.