Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

Pregnancy

Customer Question

my friend is 18 weeks pregnant - she is considered high risk due to a previous ectopic pregnancy - should she be concerned about riding a motorcycle at this point - just the bumping and jarring motion of the bike?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dennis Mariano replied 11 years ago.
Of course she should not ride a motorcycle at all, if she wants to loose the fetus that will help a lot, now if she wants it for keep, I will suggest her to stay away from the bike, take a longer rest than usual, eat healthy, since she is high risk I recomend her to laydown on the couch with her feet up or atleast put some pillow behind her knee for good 30 min a night. that is if she wants to keep the baby.
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

Dear Missy,

I guess you could look at this two different ways. In My Opinion... If I were in her shoes, I would not ride the motorcycle because I would not want to do anything that would risk my baby, you never know what could happen on a motorcycle. But, when you consider the ride on the motorcycle itself, A healthy and normally firmly implanted pregnancy is not going to be jarred loose or caused to be ectopic from the bouncing of a motorcycle going down the highway. Now a dirt bike bouncing and jumping through the field would not be good as there would be an even higher risk of an accident. OBGYN's advise that women do not at any point in time in their pregnancy ride carnival rides - so I guess it would pretty much be a toss up as to what she felt comfortable doing. And there are times that one doc will tell you one thing and one will tell you another. In MY own oppinion...and that is what it is...I would Not ride the bike being pregnant, let alone high risk, and yet women do it everyday.

Good Luck to you and your friend.