Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Voc Rehab Counselor, M. Ed.
Experience:  Disability/Rehab Consultant. Broad knowledge of many chronic and acute health problems.
14607

ultrasound EIF

Customer Question

We're 22 weeks pregnant with our second child. Our 2 year old daughter is perfectly healthy.

We had a level 1 ultrasound 2 weeks ago and were told yesterday that our baby showed signs of EIF (possible sign of Downs) They want us to wait 5 more weeks for a second ultrasound - this time a level 3 would be ordered.                  &nbs p;      

I would like to know it's normal to wait for 7 weeks in between ultrasounds for this kind of concern ? If so, why ?

My husband and I would like to have a follow up ultrasound ASAP to see if the EIF shows up on the level 3.

What do you suggest ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

I understand your anxiousness to get this over with and to find out once and for all if your baby will be healthy. The reason your doctor is wanting to wait, is to give your baby a little more time to mature and to give baby time to see if anything seen in the first ultrasound has changed. If indicated, then another round of testing will be suggested.

Prenatal testing for Down syndrome falls into two categories: screening and diagnosing. Screening tests, such as ultrasound and maternal blood tests, can help doctors identify women who may hold a greater risk of carrying a baby with a chromosome abnormality such as Down syndrome. Amniocentesis (fluid that surrounds the baby is sampled) and chorionic villus sampling (tissue from outside the sac where the fetus develops is biopsied) are examples of diagnostic tests. Although the results of both tests are highly reliable, they carry a risk of causing a miscarriage.

Screening tests (which is what you have had so far), are offered to all women, not just those with apparent risk factors. Current screening tests for Down syndrome include ultrasound in the second trimester as well as the maternal serum triple screen (blood test). Screening tests tend to have a high false-positive rate because the threshold for declaring a screening test result abnormal is set to capture the largest number of women who truly are carrying an abnormal baby. In other words, most women with an abnormal screening test for Down syndrome go on to deliver a normal infant.

I am listing a site for you to reference, and to give you more information on what is going on with you and your baby. I know it is hard, but please try to relax and don't make any snap decisions until "all" testing is done. Remember..."Most women with an abnormal screening test for Downs syndrome go on to deliver a normal infant."

http://bidmc.harvard.edu/display.asp?leaf_id=5250

My best wishes to you and your family, You are in my prayers!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: Thank you for your educated advice and support. I really appreciate you posting a reply so quickly and offering some helpful insight.

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
As your question remains open and you have not yet accepted (paid for)
an answer -- does this mean you are looking for more input?  If
so, can you please provide an idea of what you need.

Thanks in advance.

Steve