TheMysticWave
TheMysticWave, Herbal Healer, Color Therapist
Experience:  36 yrs. exp. in Alternative Medicine (Herbal & Wholistic Healing) Color Therapy, Flower Essences
6999

what causes extreme dry mouth

Customer Question

IN THE PAST WEEK I HAVE EXTREME DRY MOUTH AND I NORMALLY URINATE ONCE OR TWICE A DAY AND IN THE PAST WEEK I URINATE SIX OR SEVEN TIMES A DAY. I AM 66 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE TYPE TWO DIABETES AND I HAD NOT CHECKED MY BLOOD SUGAR IN NINE MONTHS. I JUST CHECKED IT AND IT WAS 383. I ALSO HAVE TINGLING IN MY LEFT LEG AND SHARP SENSATIONS CLOSE TO BOTH SIDES OF MY GROIN...I HAD MY ANNUAL PHYSICAL IN JANUARY AND ALL WAS FINE INCLUDING MY SUGAR LEVEL...I HAVE BEEN DRINKING ABOUT 100 OUNCES OF WATER A DAY TO RELIEVE MY DRY MOUTH....THANK YOU, TOM
Category: Health
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

A permanent feeling of dry mouth or decreased saliva flow can be caused by:

• biological aging - this is a contributing factor, but probably does not cause it

• systemic diseases such as;

- rheumatoid conditions (example: Sjogren's Syndrome)

- dysfunctional immune system (example: AIDS)

- hormonal disorders (example: Diabetes)

- neurologic disorders (example: Parkinson's disease)

• decreased chewing ability- resulting in a liquid diet and soft food choice which tend to decrease the flow of saliva

• surgical removal of salivary glands

Dry mouth can occur due to:

• radiation therapy - radiation can result in permanent damage to the salivary glands.

• drugs or medications - over 400 drugs cause dry mouth as a side effect. The more common drugs are:

- decongestants

- diuretics

- antihypertensives

- antidepressants

- antihistamines

Signs and Symptoms

If you think you experience oral dryness, here are some common signs and symptoms.

• burning sensation of the tongue

• difficulty eating, especially dry foods

• difficulty with speech

• often thirsty

• difficulty wearing dentures

• dry, cracked lips, and at the corners of the mouth

• impaired taste

So What If I Have a Dry Mouth?

• Having a decreased flow of saliva has some serious consequences.

• Heavy plaque and food accumulations tend to occur with dry mouth (xerostomia). This can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Saliva is the body's self-cleansing mechanism. It helps remove food, debris, and plaque from the tooth surfaces, which helps protect against oral diseases.

• Saliva also protects against cavities. It cleanses the tooth surfaces and neutralizes acids, and in this way, protects the tooth surface from tooth decay. People who have dry mouth (xerostomia) are very susceptible to cavities, especially on the roots of their teeth.

How to Control Dry Mouth

• frequently sip water

• keep fluids at bedside at night

• chew sugarless gum

• avoid tobacco, alcohol and foods high in sugar

• adjust the air humidity in your home

• use a saliva substitute - this is a commercial product which attempts to "wet" the mouth like saliva does; it can be found in most pharmacies

• establish a good plaque control program - since heavy plaque accumulations occur with oral dryness

• use fluoride - toothpaste, rinse, or gel
Dry mouth (xerostomia) can result in oral discomfort and can have serious consequences. If you feel you have this symptom, please see your oral health professional. 

source

Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings Tom:

I do not wish to alarm you, but your blood sugar level is high - normal is around 100 - My neighbor had elevated blood sugar for months and sadly he had severe complications - not to say this will happen to you - but, he had to undergo surgery several months ago - he has type 1 Diabetes - and his son has type 2 Diabetes. I am also personally familiar with this condition as my aunt suffered from Diabetes.

I do not wish to preach to you or scare you but, Diabetes, as you know, is a serious condition - and it's necessary for those that do suffer with said condition to check their blood sugar level daily - has you doctor not advised you concerning the importance of same? With your symptoms as is, please call your doctor, the one who treats you for your Diabetes and schedule an appointment. If you are unable to connect with him/her, I suggest you see an emergency room doctor as soon as possible....for your own well-being. Please do not wait.

My very best to you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I ALREADY KNOW I HAVE TYPE 2 DIABETES, BUT I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT CAUSES EXTREME DRY MOUTH AND EVERYTHING ELSE I SAID TO YOU IN MY PIROR E-MAIL,
sHOULD I BE CONCERNED?

THANKS,
TOM
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Yes.  You should be worried.  Diabetes is serious business and it can cause the tingling and leg pain that you are describing.

You need to make an appointment with your dr right away.  I think that you have neglected your health and you need to get it in check.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: what causes Extreme dry mouth why have I had it for only a week? what causes it?????
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Sorry for all the hassle.

Thank You,

Thomas Marcotte
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to TheMysticWave's Post: I have checked my blood for years but 9 months ago i moved out of my house and I have always been ok I got a check up approx. 2 months ago and my check up was GREAT. so I continued what I had been doing. all these things I am concerned about started about 8 or 9 days ago. So I would like to find out concerns about dry mouth. I made an appt. with my DR. for tommorrow But I only talked to the lady at the front desk. I can't sleep with out some answers......

Thanks,     Tom
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
 I have listed the possible causes for dry mouth above.  Please read it and then let us know if you still have questions.

Greetings Tom:

Thank you for responding. I am glad you scheduled an appointment with your doctor.

Please know that dry mouth is a symptom associated with Diabetes, but also the following:

Hyperglycemia - and believe it or not, Periodontal Gum Disease which many suffering from Diabetes can develop. Proper care of your teeth and gums can go a long way in preventing the onset of oral problems associated with diabetes. Your condition/symptoms can lead to type 1 Diabetes.

Dry mouth means the mouth does not have enough saliva to keep itself wet. Saliva is necessary to help digest food, and prevent infection and tooth decay by controlling bacteria and fungi. Dry mouth can make tasting, chewing, and swallowing food difficult, and can impede speech. In addition, dry mouth can cause mouth infections and tooth decay.

Diabetes and Periodontal (Gum) Disease

I wish you the very best - and please keep us posted as to your condition/diagnosis.

Please do take care.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave