Karel1
Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist
Experience:  Have suffered with Narcolepsy a sleeping disorder over 30 years,specializes in asthma ,COPD
24118

I nned to worry if I am taking ine evey night

Customer Question

I think I am adicted to sleeping pills? How do I stop taking them safely? Do I nned to worry if I am taking ine evey night? And...they don't work as well as they did at the beginning
Category: Health
Expert:  Karel1 replied 11 years ago.
 yES ONE BUILDS UP A TOLERANCE FOR SLEEPING PILLS .yOU ALWAYS NEED MORE TO GET THE SAME EFFECT.iN ORDER TO GET OFF THEM.yOU WOULD NEED TO TELL YOUR MD AND JUST STOP THEM.yOU MAY FIND YOURSELF VERY AGITATED THEN,RESTLESS,INSOMNIA.uSUALLY THIS LASTS  FOR 6-12 WEEKS.eACH PERSON IS DIFFERENT,HOWEVER YOU WILL SEE SOME LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL AFTER THE FIRST 2 WEEKS.YOU ALSO SHOULD NOT DRINK OR EAT CHOCOLATE, TEA,COFFEE ,COKE PEPSI OR EXERCISE 3 HOURS BEFORE YOUR BEDTIME.TRY GOING TO BED AND GET UP THE SAME TIME EACH DAY EVEN IF YOU GOT NO SLEEP THE NIGHT BOFORE.AND THE OLD ADAGE WAR MILK BEFORE BED IS TRUE.MILK WHEN HEATED IS N AMINO ACID WHICH PROMOTES SLEEP.SO DRINKING A GLASS 20 MINUTES BEFORE BED MAY HELP.DONT STAY IN THE BED MORE THAN 20 MINUTES TWISTING AND TURNING,GET UP AND SDO SOMETHING BORING LIKE READING A BOOK.IF YOU FIND YOURSELF  NODDING GET UP AND GO BACK INTO THE BED.YOU HAVE TO RETRAIN YOUR MIND THAT THE BED IS FOR SLEEPING ONLY.ALSO TRY SOME MELLOW MUSIC.SET AN ALARM CLOCK IN THE ROOM WHERE YOU HAVE TO GET OUT OF BED TO SHUT IT OFF IF YOU ARE AFRAID YOU WONT GET UP.ALSO WHILE YOU ARE GOING THRU THE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF WITHDRAWAL YOU MIGHT ASK YOUR MD FOR  ATIVAN,THIS COUNTEREACTS  MEDS WITHDRAWAL AND RELAXES YOU.HOWEVER THIS TO ONE CAN BUILD TOLERANCE SO YOU SHOULD ONLY TAKE IT IF THE ANXIETY FROM THE WITHDRAWAL IS SO BAD.AFTERWARDS YOU CAN TRY MELATONIN WHICH IS SOLD IN A HEALTH FOOD STORE,3MG I BELIEVE IS THE DOSE,IT IS A NATURAL AMINO ACID THAT PRODUCES SLEEP,BUT IF YOU CAN DO WITHOUT IT ,IT IS EVEN BETTER.ALSO GO TO THE WEBSITE SLEEPNET.COM CLICK ON SLEEP DISORDERS AND INSOMNIA.ALSO READ ABOUT RESETTTING YOUR CHRONOBIOLOGICAL CLOCK.YOU CAN ALSO IN SEARCH PUNCH IN RESETTING YOUR CIRCADIAN CLOCK AND IT WILL GIVE YOU TIPS HOW TO GET YOUR SELF BACK INTO A NORMAL SLEEP PATTERN.IF YOU ARE TAKING ANY OTHER DRUGS FOR OTHER AILMENTS,THOSE TO INTERFERE WITH SLEEP SO TELL YOUR MD,PERHAPS JUST AN ADJUSTMJENT TO THE DOSE IS ALL THATS NEEDED.GOOD LUCK.