Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Voc Rehab Counselor, M. Ed.
Experience:  Disability/Rehab Consultant. Broad knowledge of many chronic and acute health problems.
14607

Should I be worried!

Customer Question

I haven't had a period for a year now and I'm only 21 wahts wrong with me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Coleen Hoffmeister replied 11 years ago.
THere are a number of things that could be wrong with you and I would suggest that you go to a GYN.

First, if you are extemely under weight and not eating right, this will be a problem. Be honest with yourself if you are underweight (or extremely, extremely overweight). If you have an eating disorder this will definitely cause you not to have your period.

Of course, since we do not have your history, this could be totally off the mark.

Has it caused you discomfort, do you have a bloated feeling? Do you have cramps at any given time of the month? If there is a lot of stress in your life, above and beyond the normal for today, which is really high everywhere, this also could cause you this type of trouble.

There are really too many avenues to follow to figure out the reason and I would suggest you see an gynecologist to figure out why.

If you have any other questions or additions to your question, please feel free to let us know.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Coleen Hoffmeister's Post: i'm sorry i was looking for somthing a little more helpful if you know anything else please feel free to write me.

thank you for you time!
                  Customer
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.

Some additional background may be helpful in being able to provide you with more specific advice/information.

Did you have anything major occurring your life at the time your period
stopped?  Any chronic illnesses?  Any major stressors or
lifestyle changes?  Any major change in weight?  RU (or have
you been) on a diet in the last year?  Are you
significantly overweight or underwieght now?  Are you anorexic or
bulimic?  Are you eating a healthy amount and variety of
food?  Have you been working out, exercising, or participating
in athletic or sporting events on a frequent or constant basis? 
Are you on prescription birth control (if so, what type)?  Do you
take any other kind of prescription or over-the-counter medication
regularly?

Finally, have you discussed this problem with your doctor?  Have
you had a physical examination since this problem appeared?

Please include any other information and/or specific questions that you think may be helpful?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: well I did have major problems in my life with family, i did gain alot of waight over the past year, I thought i was pregnet at one point, but then I had this huge peroid and i thought maybe i had a miss carriage but when i went to the hospital they could'nt find anything,and as far as a doctor, well i can't afford to go to a doctor,with the low pay that i recieve, and medicate well not help me because i have no kids, so no I haven't been to a doctor. but after what i thought was a miscarrige i havn't had my peroid. but if it was a misscarriage then the doctor should have found somthing right? but since i did'nt have any insurence she really didn't want to help me. so she might not have done everything she was suppose to do to see what was wrong with me.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
q

Regarding the possible miscarriage -- if it was early enough in the
pregnancy, there might not have been anything obvious for the doctor to
find in order to confirm that a miscarriage had occurred.

I don't believe your being overweight can be a factor unless you are extremely obese.

You're certainly correct that not having a period for a year -- especially at your young age -- is not normal.

This is why it is important that -- in spite of your tight money
picture -- you find a way to get a medical examination -- preferably by
an OB/GYN.

Most communities have some sort of 'Free Clinic' -- or sliding scale
(what you pay is based on your income) medical clinic for low income
people.  Someone at your Public Library or City Hall or County
Courthouse should be able to help you find this kind of resource in
your area.

Whether you find a clinic you can afford -- or take a second part-time
job to come up with the money -- or borrow it from a friend or family
member, you need to get this problem looked out and taken care of.

Putting it off may be putting your future ability to have children in
jeopardy.  Your health -- or even your life -- might be at risk if
you don't get this dealt with soon.  Good Luck!

Let me know if you need more input.  If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my
efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer.

Good Luck!

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I was looking for a more helpful answer, if you know anything esle please feel free to responed!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: well i was looking for somthing a little more helpful so if you happen to know anything else please feel free to reply
Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings hon:

Being that it's been some time since you've seen a doctor, you really need to go again - the problem that you are having appears that it was not detectable at the time. No one can tell you what's wrong with you unless you see a professional physician and are examined. I understand only too well about not having medical coverage - however, I have located at least 20 + different "free" clinics in Indiana that can assist you.

See the link below:

Unite For Sight, Inc. - Free Clinics: Community Based Clinics for Medically Underserved and Uninsured

You are young - please take care of your health!!!

My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Here is some additional information for you.

Doctors call the absence of menstruation -- amenorrhea.

If a woman has never had a period, it is referred to as -- primary amenorrhea.

In cases like yours, where menstrual periods have ceased -- they call it secondary amenorrhea -- click on the link for a thorough explanation of this disorder.

Although you now have access to comprehensive information about your
condition -- having this information will neither pinpoint the exact
cause of your problem -- nor will it change anything.

I have given you all the help that it is possible to give you
here.  Your condition is likely to change only through
examination, diagnosis, and treatment by a physician.

efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer.  Adding
a bonus -- should you wish to do so -- is always warmly welcomed.

Good Luck!

Steve